New to keys - ongoing questions about my new Juno DS61

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards

New to keys - ongoing questions about my new Juno DS61

Postby big jilm » 04:38, 24 February 2017

Hi, everybody -

I am new to keyboards - my band does a lot of Floyd stuff, and I am the guitarist that is on keyboard duty. I have been using a MicroKORG live, but it isn't cutting it - so I ordered my first real keyboard... the Roland DS61.

So far, I have learned:
1. How to change the color of the lights in the pads (lol)
2. Add sounds to favorite buttons
3. Save changes to stock sounds so they can be added to favorites
4. Make, save, and add split sounds to favorite buttons.
5. How to use a USB thumb drive to trigger sound effects (like alarm clocks for 'Time').
6. How to use my Ernie Ball volume pedal as an expression pedal
7. How to assign to the expression pedal different things (cutoff, effects, etc.)

I am trying to figure out:
1. How to get my hold pedal to work on the organs like it does on the pianos (hold and fade out as opposed to holding the entire time I am pressing the pedal).
2. How to assign different effects to the expression pedal depending on the patch as opposed to globally to the entire keyboard.
3. (This is a big one) How can I get a split patch I created to hold with the sustain pedal while I switch patches the way a regular (not split patch) will.

Anyway, thanks for reading - if you have any tips for me, please let me know!
big jilm

Re: New to keys - ongoing questions about my new Juno DS61

Postby Bomi » 18:29, 26 February 2017

no answer so far to your questions but can you explain 7.) ?

Thx

Beat
Bomi

Postby Tothead » 18:57, 26 February 2017

These are all basic functions described very well in the first few pages of the manual ;) Dive into the system menu (system settings), all things are pretty self explanatory there.
Tothead

Postby big jilm » 02:03, 27 February 2017

Bomi wrote:no answer so far to your questions but can you explain 7.) ?

Thx

Beat

Sure. Let's say I would like the expression pedal to work as a volume pedal on a strings preset, and as a modulation control on the B3 sounds. As it stands, I have only figured out how to set it for the entire keyboard - so I have it as a modulation control for every sound.
big jilm

Postby big jilm » 02:05, 27 February 2017

Tothead wrote:These are all basic functions described very well in the first few pages of the manual ;) Dive into the system menu (system settings), all things are pretty self explanatory there.

Some stuff, yeah. I can't find in the manual how to make my split patch I created hold with the hold pedal while I switch to other sounds. The stock sounds will do it - I can hold my strings while I switch to a B3, for instance.
big jilm

Return to Juno-DS / XPS-30