New to keys - ongoing questions about my new Juno DS61

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
big jilm

New to keys - ongoing questions about my new Juno DS61

Post by big jilm »

Hi, everybody -

I am new to keyboards - my band does a lot of Floyd stuff, and I am the guitarist that is on keyboard duty. I have been using a MicroKORG live, but it isn't cutting it - so I ordered my first real keyboard... the Roland DS61.

So far, I have learned:
1. How to change the color of the lights in the pads (lol)
2. Add sounds to favorite buttons
3. Save changes to stock sounds so they can be added to favorites
4. Make, save, and add split sounds to favorite buttons.
5. How to use a USB thumb drive to trigger sound effects (like alarm clocks for 'Time').
6. How to use my Ernie Ball volume pedal as an expression pedal
7. How to assign to the expression pedal different things (cutoff, effects, etc.)

I am trying to figure out:
1. How to get my hold pedal to work on the organs like it does on the pianos (hold and fade out as opposed to holding the entire time I am pressing the pedal).
2. How to assign different effects to the expression pedal depending on the patch as opposed to globally to the entire keyboard.
3. (This is a big one) How can I get a split patch I created to hold with the sustain pedal while I switch patches the way a regular (not split patch) will.

Anyway, thanks for reading - if you have any tips for me, please let me know!
Bomi

Re: New to keys - ongoing questions about my new Juno DS61

Post by Bomi »

no answer so far to your questions but can you explain 7.) ?

Thx

Beat
Tothead

Post by Tothead »

These are all basic functions described very well in the first few pages of the manual ;) Dive into the system menu (system settings), all things are pretty self explanatory there.
big jilm

Post by big jilm »

Bomi wrote:no answer so far to your questions but can you explain 7.) ?

Thx

Beat
Sure. Let's say I would like the expression pedal to work as a volume pedal on a strings preset, and as a modulation control on the B3 sounds. As it stands, I have only figured out how to set it for the entire keyboard - so I have it as a modulation control for every sound.
big jilm

Post by big jilm »

Tothead wrote:These are all basic functions described very well in the first few pages of the manual ;) Dive into the system menu (system settings), all things are pretty self explanatory there.
Some stuff, yeah. I can't find in the manual how to make my split patch I created hold with the hold pedal while I switch to other sounds. The stock sounds will do it - I can hold my strings while I switch to a B3, for instance.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

big jilm wrote:1. How to get my hold pedal to work on the organs like it does on the pianos (hold and fade out as opposed to holding the entire time I am pressing the pedal).
Nope, because the pedal makes the sound behave the same way it would if you'd simply kept your fingers down on the keys. When you hold down piano keys, the notes eventually fade out, so when you use the pedal, they fade out. When you hold down organ keys, the sound does not fade out, so when you use the hold pedal, you guessed it, they don't fade out. Possible solution would be to program an organ sound so that it eventually fades.
big jilm wrote:2. How to assign different effects to the expression pedal depending on the patch as opposed to globally to the entire keyboard.
I don't believe the DS can do that. (But yes, there are other keyboards that can.)
big jilm wrote:3. (This is a big one) How can I get a split patch I created to hold with the sustain pedal while I switch patches the way a regular (not split patch) will.
Hmmm, works for me. If it's a multi-part performance, the same part has to be active in the patch you're switching from and the patch you'e switching to. Any chance that could be the issue?
Leokuma

Post by Leokuma »

anotherscott wrote:
big jilm wrote:1. How to get my hold pedal to work on the organs like it does on the pianos (hold and fade out as opposed to holding the entire time I am pressing the pedal).
Nope, because the pedal makes the sound behave the same way it would if you'd simply kept your fingers down on the keys [...]
I'm not entirely sure about that. For example, if you press the pedal right after you release the key, you can still sustain the "tail" of the sound (useful for pianos), so the pedal doesn't behave exactly like pressing a key. I think I've seen different behaviors between holding the note and pressing the pedal. I'm just not sure whether it was on my Juno or my Yamaha. Please read my next answer below.
anotherscott wrote:
big jilm wrote:2. How to assign different effects to the expression pedal depending on the patch as opposed to globally to the entire keyboard.
I don't believe the DS can do that. (But yes, there are other keyboards that can.)
I'm 90% sure it's possible by using Matrix Controls, which can be configured differently for each patch.

In a Matrix Control you can assign the source controller and destination. For instance, you can assign the hold pedal as source, and LFO as destination, so that you can control the LFO with your hold pedal. You can have multiple sources and multiple destinations for one single source. And those settings are per patch. There are other configurations in the Matrix Control, such as sensitivity. Everything is explained in the manual called Parameter Guide.

By the way, by using Matrix Controls you can possibly achieve the release effect you want for the Organ. You may be able to set the Release as destination, or Reverb, or Level.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Leokuma wrote:
anotherscott wrote:
I'm 90% sure it's possible by using Matrix Controls, which can be configured differently for each patch.

In a Matrix Control you can assign the source controller and destination. For instance, you can assign the hold pedal as source, and LFO as destination, so that you can control the LFO with your hold pedal. You can have multiple sources and multiple destinations for one single source. And those settings are per patch.
Interesting. I never looked into Matrix Control, and the manual is not a model of clarity here. So you could use MC to have the expression pedal perform, say, modulation amount on one patch, and filter sweep on another? Would these functions override the default global function you've assigned to the pedal, or would you get both effects at once? I think you would want it to be an over-ride, because the odds that you would want your global function and your program-specific funcion at the same time would be remote. If anyone here has tried this, I'd be curious about the results.
Leokuma

Post by Leokuma »

anotherscott wrote: So you could use Matrix Control to have the expression pedal perform, say, modulation amount on one patch, and filter sweep on another?
Yes, and the amount (of modulation, in your example) can be set positive or negative (from -63 to +63) in the MC. I'm just not 100% sure because I don't have an expression pedal (it's on the way) to try it out. I've tested only with a sustain pedal, which is ON/OFF only. I don't know how the MC handles the "analog" signal from the expression pedal. But I guess it does take into account the level of the pedal. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.
anotherscott wrote: Would these functions override the default global function you've assigned to the pedal, or would you get both effects at once? I think you would want it to be an over-ride, because the odds that you would want your global function and your program-specific funcion at the same time would be remote.
It's customizable for each patch. By default it gets 2 effects at once, but you can turn off the "main function" of the pedal for that patch and use it via Matrix Control only. You can individually turn off hold and expression pedals, bender and some other controls that I don't know.

Matrix Control is a very powerful and maybe overlooked feature. It's useful not only to perform, but also to create new, "moving" sounds.
Lacihian

Post by Lacihian »

I am new to the JUNO DS88 but have a solid music background. Any help on creating favorites?
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

You won't be finding answers to these more in-depth programming questions in the scant manual.
The Parameter Guide is what you want to study:

http://eg.roland.com/support/by_product ... als/351037
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

It may be as simple as what is answered on page 7 of the main manual, under "Registering Favorite Sounds to a Button (FAVORITE)."