Part changes using MIDI foot controller?

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
AaronPDX1

Part changes using MIDI foot controller?

Post by AaronPDX1 »

I'd like to use my foot to switch among the 16 parts in a Performance via MIDI using, ie, a Behringer FCB1010.

Is this possible? If so, where does one assign the parameter for each part?

Or is there only the global setting for what the control pedal jack does (non-MIDI) ?
AaronPDX1

Re: Part changes using MIDI foot controller?

Post by AaronPDX1 »

For the record, it looks like this is possible through this setting:

Performance Control Channel

Specifies the MIDI receive channel on which MIDI messages (program change/bank select) from an external MIDI device will be received by the JUNO-DS to switch performances. Choose “OFF” setting if you don’t want
performances to be switched from a connected MIDI device.
1–16, OFF

Haven't got a foot controller to try with yet. Anyone else?
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

So (as I continue to talk to myself ; ) I bought an FCB-1010 MIDI foot controller. It's a beast so I haven't programmed it yet. In fact it's so large that it doesn't allow comfortable use of a music stand.

So, I'd really like a simpler pedal solution, for sustain, volume, expression and patch changes.

RE: the last item, the 'Pedal' setting (Menu/System) allows moving up or down the patch change or performance change (depending on mode you're in -- page 33 of Parameter Guide). But I see no way to move among patches within a performance, which seems like a woeful omission! Am I missing something, folks? All you masses who are reading this?
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

Roland's reply:

"It is not possible to select different parts of a Performance on the Juno-DS88 via MIDI or a footswitch. You would need to use the 8 pads on the right for this, or cursor up and down on the screen to select parts."

So, the only way to do what I want to do would be to set up multiple Performances per 'true performance', and cycle among these with a pedal. Pretty ridiculous workaround, considering the term 'performance'.
Recorder

Post by Recorder »

Dear AaronPDX1,
Thank you very much for sharing all Roland replies with us on this platform. It would be even more professionell from Roland if they would reply to questions posted here directly. Anyway, AaronPDX1, people like you keep these platforms alive!
Thx!
Cheers
Heiko
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

Thanks Heiko. I agree and will press that point with the mysterious corporate entity known as Roland. :)