VK ROTARY: Brake ON/OFF with Hold Pedal?

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Recorder

VK ROTARY: Brake ON/OFF with Hold Pedal?

Post by Recorder »

Dear all,

I am in the middle of programming the DS 61 (as a last minute replacement keyboard) for a gig. I wonder whether it's possible to control the brake of the VK ROTARY Effect with a conroller, e.g. the Hold Pedal. I tried to manage this via the MFX CTRL putting the Source 1 to CC64:HOLD-1 and the Destination 1 to BRAKE. I played around with the Sensitivity between -63 and +63 but unfortunately the brake remained completely unaffected while pressing/releasing the Hold Pedal. Is there anything I missed? I already managed (for a different organ) to switch the Leslie effect of the VK ROTARY between Fast and Slow using the Hold Pedal. To be honest, I am a bit lost... Is there anybody out there who could give me a hint?

btw: In the Parameter Guide there are many asterisks, e.g. on page 45 next to the Brake parameter, some of them bold, some clear, do you have an idea about their meaning?

I am looking forward to receive some hints and would like to thank you in advance

cheers,

Heiko
AaronPDX1

Re: VK ROTARY: Brake ON/OFF with Hold Pedal?

Post by AaronPDX1 »

Heiko, I've no idea but it seems like it should be possible.

I do see the star symbol explained on p. 40:

• Parameters marked with a [star] can be controlled using the control knob to which “MFX CTRL” is assigned.

• Parameters marked with a sharp “#” can be controlled using a MFX control (p. 18, p. 24) or Matrix control (p. 12). (Two setting items will change simultaneously for “#1” and “#2”).

Let us know what you learn!
Recorder

Re: VK ROTARY: Brake ON/OFF with Hold Pedal?

Post by Recorder »

Dear AaronPDX1,

Thank you very much for you quick reply. I found the definitions of (star) and (#) in the Parameter Guide, thanks for that. My setup was a bit more complicated than described in my previous post but in the end I managed to find a workaround.

If I only used the Rotary as a single MFX, controlling the Brake with the Hold Pedal was no problem. The issue started with combining two MFX in Performance Mode.

Here is what I wanted to achieve and what I ended up with:

I wanted to spice up an organ sound (EXP 134 The Sham as part of the Vintage Instruments Expansion Pack 2) with MFX1 37: VS Overdrive AND MFX 2 22:VK Rotary.

I set up a performance with The Sham on Part 1, Kbd on and The Sham on Part 2, Kbd off

I set the MFX structure to Type02 to chain the Rotary and the Overdrive. MFX1: Part 1 and MFX2: Part 2

I set MFX2 to VK Rotary, Speed Fast, Brake on
I set MFX2 CTRL Source 1: CC64 and Destination 1 Brake, Sens 1 -63

I saved the Performance, switching the Brake on/off only works with Pad 2 activated (selecting Part 2 which was set Kbd off). That is the only way I managed to switch the Brake and combining Overdrive and Rotary.

If anybody knows a smarter or more direct way to achieve the goal, pls let me know. If not, maybe this could be of some help for you as well.

cheers,

Heiko