Slave tempo (from external MIDI device) -- routing?

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
AaronPDX1

Slave tempo (from external MIDI device) -- routing?

Post by AaronPDX1 »

So if I understand correctly, I can have the DS's tempo slave to that of an external MIDI device. I'd like to send MIDI tempo from a drum trigger, into the DS, and the DS's arpeggio would then be in time with the drummer. Anyone tried this?

And if I want my external controller keyboard connected and active at the same time, can I route it thus:

Drum trigger --> MIDI in of controller keyboard --> MIDI thru to DS

?
AaronPDX1

Re: Slave tempo (from external MIDI device) -- routing?

Post by AaronPDX1 »

Roland's reply:

"The Juno-DS can synchronize to an incoming MIDI clock signal. If your drum machine / trigger outputs a standard MIDI clock message, the Juno-DS can be set to synchronize to this message (see page 17 in the owner's manual for information on the sync settings). Regarding connecting 2 different MIDI devices to the MIDI input of the Juno-DS - you will normally need a MIDI Merge box for this. This would allow you to connect to MIDI OUTs to the single MIDI IN of the Juno-DS. Alternatively, if your keyboard controller has MIDI Merge functionality built in, you can use the setup you mentioned in your post (Drum trigger / machine to MIDI IN of keyboard controller, MIDI OUT (with MIDI Merge turned on) of the controller to the MIDI IN of the Juno-DS)."
AaronPDX1

Re: Slave tempo (from external MIDI device) -- routing?

Post by AaronPDX1 »

The saga continues, dear readers.

After some back and forth with Roland I decided to try having the DS control the tempo of my TR505 drum machine. Then I'd output from it to my drummer's headphones. This way he always has a reliable metronome in sync with the arpeggio I'm playing on the DS.

Roland writes: "MIDI sync messages (clock, stop/start, etc.) are messages that does not rely on a specific MIDI channel, so they should work no matter what channel you have each device set to.

Note that on the Juno-DS88, the only way to output a MIDI clock message is to be in DAW control mode. You then need to select "USER" for the control map and also set the SYNC OUTPUT setting to "ON." You can then use the stop / start button on the Juno-DS to start / stop your external MIDI device, and you can also press the TEMPO button to change the tempo as needed."

Alas, from my testing it seems that once you're in DAW mode, you can no longer access custom performances that employ custom 16-part mode 'multi' splits. You're limited to playing one part at a time.

If anyone knows a way around this let me know! It seems to me I'll have to buy a cheap secondary MIDI keyboard capable of arpeggiation, triggering the DS sound to be arpeggiated, and a drum machine that gives a metronome to our drummer. Way too complicated...