Connecting to an old mac

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
tiresias_monk

Connecting to an old mac

Post by tiresias_monk »

Hello forum,
I recently bought a Juno DS88. It's my first synthesizer, I thought that I would try some new directions in music having been an acoustic pianist all my life. So today I tried to fire up GarageBand but it seems that it is not just plug and play with a USB. Guess I should have researched this before. It seems that I need to install a driver, I have a pretty old Mac, version 10.7.5 and on the Roland website I only found drivers for OS X 10.8 and above. So is it even possible to connect my keyboard and my computer? I saw that I can buy something like an audio-USB interface? Is that worthwhile? I thought I would start simple and get the hang of recording digital sounds before collecting a whole lot of gear but perhaps the chicken must come before the egg. Perhaps after all it's time to get a new computer, I can't even get web browsers that run right on this machine, it's just hard for me to fathom that fancy expensive pieces of equipment get out of date in just six years. If I do that then I can also get a fancier DAW which I reckon I'll need in the end anyways.
cecchino

Re: Connecting to an old mac

Post by cecchino »

How old is your Mac? Did you check if it can run a more recent version of Mac OS?