Limitations of Juno DS exposed! Shocking exposé inside!

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
AaronPDX1

Limitations of Juno DS exposed! Shocking exposé inside!

Post by AaronPDX1 »

Got your attention?

Anyway... 2 annoying limitations I just found out that remind me how the DS is positioned as a budget synth. (Though still amazing, don't get me wrong.)

1. Drums are always assigned to MIDI channel 10. Not changeable as far as I can see. This just happened to be an issue for me because I'm slaving the Juno's tempo (arpeggio) to an Akai Rhythm Wolf which has an unchangeable 10, and although the MIDI channel doesn't play into the tempo itself, the pattern that's being played to set the tempo will trigger drum notes off the Juno on ch 10! So I have to disable ch 10 part for all my performances, meaning when I want to practice the performance to an internal drum beat, no can do without changing the setting.

2. Arpeggiator is globally set to a particular Part of the performances. So make sure you set all arpeggiated patches to the same part # on all your performances. Kind of amazing I got through 5 custom arpeggiated performances before discovering this. I assigned a patch I wanted arpeggiated to Part 3 and it did not work! Takes time to switch parts around (unless you're swapping 1 and 2), so I intend not to make this error again.
joelfan

Re: Limitations of Juno DS exposed! Shocking exposé inside!

Post by joelfan »

AaronPDX1 wrote:Got your attention?
1. Drums are always assigned to MIDI channel 10. Not changeable as far as I can see. This just happened to be an issue for me because I'm slaving the Juno's tempo (arpeggio) to an Akai Rhythm Wolf which has an unchangeable 10, and although the MIDI channel doesn't play into the tempo itself, the pattern that's being played to set the tempo will trigger drum notes off the Juno on ch 10! So I have to disable ch 10 part for all my performances, meaning when I want to practice the performance to an internal drum beat, no can do without changing the setting.
Not in the pattern sequencer, at least, you can use the channel you want.
JDJuno

Post by JDJuno »

Hello all. New to this forum. Recently purchased a Juno ds76 and was shocked to find out that I’m unable to save arpeggio settings to a favorite. This keyboard is awesome for the $$$ but even my Yamaha PSR EW300 does it, with ease, for a third of the price! I feel this is a major oversight by Roland.
Any thoughts on this?
Thx in advance!
JDJuno

Post by JDJuno »

Additionally, it won’t even save the arp settings after shutdown, returns to default when you power back up.
This is the equivalent of having to reset your favorite radio stations every time you start your car.
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

I feel your pain, JDJuno. And I haven't found any MIDI sysex code to turn it on or off (or adjust its parameters) either.