2.Prst00893 Vox Pad 1 110 +1 Oct c-b4
3.Prst00898 Synvox 2 127 c5-g9

USER 02.Call Me SOLO
1.Ds0131 Edye Boost 110 b3-g9
2.Psrt0441 Hybrid Str 2 120 +2 Oct c-bb3 PB/no
3.User0575 EDMlead 80 -1 Oct b3-g9
4.DS0017 Acc.Master 97 b3-g9
5.DS0180 Orbit Pad 127 c-bb3 PB/no
I'm going to dive into this! I was using only the Edye Boost and it sounded close....
kenmizell

Re: Patchland for Juno DS / XPS 30

Post by kenmizell »

I like where this group is going - this wasn't exactly what i was looking for but it's getting closer... (I'll preface this with... I'm a total NOOB on this platform. I had a casio keyboard as a kid in the 1980's and I've owned a piano in the recent past but sold that house and left it behind... missed it... and bought this because it seemed it could satisfy my longing to play the piano, plus... offer the ability to play a wider variety of songs and have them sound right)

What I've been searching for (unsuccessfully so far) is a list (like a spreadsheet) of all of the preset patches and downloadable patches matched up to the songs they've been used for in pop culture... so i could search for "Journey" or "Separate Ways" and see here are the 3 patches used in that song and where you can get them. The DS does have a "Jump Strings" sound that i scrolled past the other day that I'm pretty sure is the sound Van Halen uses for their song "Jump", and I see someone made their own for "Call Me", but I want a searchable list of everything from the 60's through today, what patches were used (or closely approximate what was used).

Has anyone seen a list like this?
kenmizell

Post by kenmizell »

[long post]
So I've been searching for a comprehensive list (spreadsheet) of popular songs matched up to the patches that closely approximate the original sound from that song... to no avail. (if anyone has one please point me to it...)

But for fun, I asked ChatGPT... here's what I got (Note: I've not tried any of these to see how close they are yet... and I know there's a better sound for "Jump" by Van Halen than what the AI suggested... but here you go:

📷Ken Mizell
Do you know what a Roland Juno DS88 keyboard is?
Yes, I am familiar with the Roland Juno DS88 keyboard. The Roland Juno DS88 is a synthesizer keyboard that features an 88-note weighted-action keyboard with aftertouch. It is part of the Juno series of synthesizers and was released in 2015 as an update to the earlier Juno-Di model.
The Juno DS88 includes over 1200 sounds, including acoustic and electric pianos, organs, synthesizers, and drums. It also features a built-in eight-track pattern sequencer, a sampler, and a variety of effects, including reverb, chorus, and overdrive. The keyboard can be used as a MIDI controller and can connect to a computer or other MIDI devices via USB.
Overall, the Roland Juno DS88 is a versatile and powerful keyboard that can be used for a wide variety of musical applications.
📷Ken Mizell
Can you create a spreadsheet that links popular songs of the 1960s, 1970s 1980s 1990s and 2000s to the patches available in the Roland Juno DS keyboard so that a musician can search by song title and find the patches used in that song or patches that closely approximate the synthesizer sounds used?
As an AI language model, I don't have the ability to create spreadsheets or access to internet resources to compile a comprehensive list of patches associated with specific songs of different decades. However, I can suggest a general approach that you could follow to create such a spreadsheet:
First, research and identify popular songs of each decade that feature synthesizer sounds. There are various websites and online resources that can help you find this information.
Listen to the songs and try to identify the specific synthesizer sounds used in each song. Note down any information you can find on the type of synthesizer or patch used.
Refer to the Roland Juno DS88 manual or online resources to identify the patches available on the keyboard. Take note of the patches that most closely approximate the synthesizer sounds used in the songs you have identified.
Create a spreadsheet with columns for song title, artist, decade, synthesizer used, specific patch used, and suggested patch on the Roland Juno DS88 that closely approximates the sound used in the song.
Populate the spreadsheet with the information you have gathered in steps 1 to 3.
You can also include additional columns for notes, comments or tips related to each song or patch.
Remember, creating such a comprehensive list may require a significant amount of time and research. It can also be a subjective process as the synthesizer sounds in a particular song can be produced by a variety of synthesizers and patches, and musicians may have different preferences or opinions on which patch sounds closest to the original.
📷Ken Mizell
could you take a guess at such a list in your text reply?
Certainly, here are a few examples of popular songs from different decades that feature synthesizer sounds, along with some patches on the Roland Juno DS88 that could be used to approximate those sounds:
1960s: "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys - The famous theremin-like sound in the intro of this song could be approximated using the "Theremin" patch on the Juno DS88.
1970s: "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees - The iconic disco string sound in this song could be approximated using the "Analog Strings" patch on the Juno DS88.
1980s: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by Eurythmics - The dark, pulsing synth bass in this song could be approximated using the "Analog Bass" patch on the Juno DS88.
1990s: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana - The distorted, grungy guitar-like sound in the intro of this song could be approximated using the "Raw Saw" patch on the Juno DS88.
2000s: "Crazy in Love" by Beyoncé ft. Jay-Z - The catchy horn riff in this song could be approximated using the "Big Brass" patch on the Juno DS88.
These are just a few examples, and there are many other songs and patches that could be included in a comprehensive list.
📷Ken Mizell
I like where this is going, could you do the same for all journey songs?
Sure, here are some popular songs by the band Journey and the patches on the Roland Juno DS88 that could be used to approximate the synthesizer sounds in each song:
"Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)": The intro of this song features a signature arpeggiated synth riff. The "Analog Arp" patch on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Don't Stop Believin'": This classic Journey song has a prominent piano riff throughout. The "Acoustic Piano" or "Studio Grand" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate the piano sound.
"Open Arms": The intro of this song features a warm synth pad. The "Warm Pad" or "Strings 1" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Any Way You Want It": This song features a driving rock organ sound. The "Rock Organ" patch on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Wheel in the Sky": The intro of this song features a lead synth sound. The "Lead 1" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Faithfully": This ballad features a lush synth pad sound. The "Strings 1" or "Warm Pad" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Who's Crying Now": This song features a lead synth sound throughout. The "Lead 1" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'": The main riff of this song is played on a distorted guitar, but there is a background synth sound that can be heard throughout. The "Synth Bass" or "Analog Bass" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
Keep in mind that these are only suggestions, and the actual patches used in the original recordings may have been different or more complex. Also, some of these sounds may have been created using a combination of different synthesizers, effects, or studio processing.
📷Ken Mizell
Could you do the same for popular songs by Boston
Sure, here are some popular songs by the band Boston and the patches on the Roland Juno DS88 that could be used to approximate the synthesizer sounds in each song:
"More Than a Feeling": The intro of this song features a guitar-like sound that is actually a heavily processed organ. The "Guitar" or "Organ" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Peace of Mind": This song features a warm, evolving synth pad sound in the intro and throughout the song. The "Warm Pad" or "Strings 1" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Foreplay/Long Time": The instrumental intro of this song features a fast arpeggiated synth sound. The "Analog Arp" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Rock and Roll Band": This song features a driving rock organ sound. The "Rock Organ" patch on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Smokin'": This song features a lead synth sound that comes in after the guitar riff. The "Lead 1" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Amanda": This ballad features a lush synth pad sound in the intro and throughout the song. The "Strings 1" or "Warm Pad" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Don't Look Back": This song features a lead synth sound that comes in after the guitar riff. The "Lead 1" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Hitch a Ride": This song features a fast arpeggiated synth sound that comes in after the guitar riff. The "Analog Arp" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
Keep in mind that these are only suggestions, and the actual patches used in the original recordings may have been different or more complex. Also, some of these sounds may have been created using a combination of different synthesizers, effects, or studio processing.
📷Ken Mizell
Wow, you're good at this... What about songs by Van Halen
Thank you! Here are some popular songs by Van Halen and the patches on the Roland Juno DS88 that could be used to approximate the synthesizer sounds in each song:
"Jump": This iconic Van Halen song features a classic synth riff throughout. The "Oberheim Saw" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Panama": The intro of this song features a distorted synth sound. The "Lead 2" or "Square" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love": This song features a lead synth sound that comes in after the guitar riff. The "Lead 1" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Hot For Teacher": The intro of this song features a fast arpeggiated synth sound. The "Analog Arp" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Runnin' with the Devil": This song features a distorted organ sound throughout. The "Organ" or "Dirty Organ" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Eruption": This instrumental track features a blistering guitar solo, but there is a background synth sound that can be heard throughout. The "Sine Wave" or "Resonant Pad" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"And the Cradle Will Rock...": This song features a lead synth sound that comes in after the guitar riff. The "Lead 1" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Dance the Night Away": This song features a classic Wurlitzer electric piano sound. The "Electric Piano" or "Stage EP" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
📷Ken Mizell
How about Pink Floyd?
Sure, here are some popular songs by Pink Floyd and the patches on the Roland Juno DS88 that could be used to approximate the synthesizer sounds in each song:
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond": This song features a dreamy, evolving synth pad sound throughout. The "Strings 1" or "Warm Pad" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Money": The intro of this song features a rhythmic synth sequence. The "Analog Arp" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)": This song features a distinctive synth riff in the chorus. The "Sine Wave" or "Resonant Pad" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Time": This song features a haunting synth pad sound in the intro and throughout. The "Strings 1" or "Warm Pad" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Wish You Were Here": This song features a warm, evolving synth pad sound in the intro and throughout the song. The "Strings 1" or "Warm Pad" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Welcome to the Machine": This song features a number of different synth sounds, but the most recognizable is the arpeggiated synth sequence that comes in at the beginning. The "Analog Arp" or "Sawtooth" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Echoes": This song features a wide range of synth sounds, but one of the most distinctive is the haunting, spacey sound in the middle section. The "Resonant Pad" or "Space Pad" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
"Comfortably Numb": This song features a lush, evolving synth pad sound in the intro and throughout. The "Strings 1" or "Warm Pad" patches on the Juno DS88 could be used to approximate this sound.
vespina

Post by vespina »

Well, we could start one. Just have to create a shared document on Google Docs and share the link here, so anyone can go and add a song and the right patch on junoDS.

kenmizell wrote: 00:43, 16 February 2023 I like where this group is going - this wasn't exactly what i was looking for but it's getting closer... (I'll preface this with... I'm a total NOOB on this platform. I had a casio keyboard as a kid in the 1980's and I've owned a piano in the recent past but sold that house and left it behind... missed it... and bought this because it seemed it could satisfy my longing to play the piano, plus... offer the ability to play a wider variety of songs and have them sound right)

What I've been searching for (unsuccessfully so far) is a list (like a spreadsheet) of all of the preset patches and downloadable patches matched up to the songs they've been used for in pop culture... so i could search for "Journey" or "Separate Ways" and see here are the 3 patches used in that song and where you can get them. The DS does have a "Jump Strings" sound that i scrolled past the other day that I'm pretty sure is the sound Van Halen uses for their song "Jump", and I see someone made their own for "Call Me", but I want a searchable list of everything from the 60's through today, what patches were used (or closely approximate what was used).

Has anyone seen a list like this?
Garax

Post by Garax »

I've recently buy a Juno DS88 and I'm so exited I found this group. I can share the "recipe" for the sound of the introduction of Save a Prayer (Duran Duran), thanks to Gianni Nitti, who was generous enough to show it in youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCCLmK9Nss

In my humble opinion the result is pretty convincing. He did a very good job.
bibiche

Post by bibiche »

Hi,

I am really interested with
Rebel yell!
Can you share It please?
Thanks so much!
B.
amodomiopiano wrote: 15:32, 14 July 2022 hi people
how can i join in this group of patch sharing?

i have done many patch with my band of rock cover....
rebell yell
call me
times is rtunning put....and many more patches i can share with you.

let me know
E
Kronofogden

Post by Kronofogden »

I bought a Juno ds61 a while back and I have a hard time finding any sound that I like.

I’m looking for the synth pad sound that can be heard in The Killers - All the things I’ve done (starts at around 0:38 sec into the song)

Does anyone have any suggestion how to make such a patch?
All the patches I’ve tried to make sounds horrible and I want to feel that the Juno ds was somewhat of a good buy.
vespina

Post by vespina »

Well, it depends.... if you were on a budget, then JunoDS has one of the best price/value ratio out there... but, altought it comes with many ready-to-use patches, you need to realize that 99% of the times, keyboardists create their own patches from the ones that comes with their keyboards or even using sampled sounds.

So, you need to learn how to create performances and/or alter patches programming on the JunoDS if you want to get the full sound potential it has... you may also look for ready-to-use sound libraries that are for sale out there, specially with sounds from the 80s.

Now, if you can afford a pricer keyboard, then maybe a Yamaha ModX, Korg KromeEx or Roland Fantom-0 may be a better option for you.
vespina

Post by vespina »

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
Europe

(This is only a list of the patches used for each part of a 3-part split performance, with some settings... you will need to tweak some other values until you are satisfied with the sound).

ORGAN BASE - LEFT HAND (KRG: C0-B3 OCT: +2)
- DS0033 Str+Choir (OUT: MFX)
- PRST0156 Cathedral (OUT: L+R)

LEAD - RIGHT HAND (KRG: C4-B5)
- PRST0506 80s Brass 1 (CHO: 127, REV: 40, OUT: L+R)
- PRST0514 80s Brass 3 (CHO: 127, REV: 75, OUT: MFX)
- PRST0509 JP8000 Brass (CHO: 127, REV: 75, OUT: MFX)
- DS0130 RajasthaniLS (CHO: 100, REV: 75, OUT: L+R)

CHOIR - RIGHT HAND (KRG: C6-G9 OCT: -2, OUT: L+R)
- PRST0890 AngelsChoir2 (CHO: 95, REV: 127)
- PRST0968 Soft OB Pad (CHO: 95, REV: 127)
amodomiopiano

Post by amodomiopiano »

Fretzkey1 wrote: 13:58, 14 February 2023
amodomiopiano wrote: 21:20, 25 July 2022 CALL ME
by Blondie

USER 01.Call Me BG
1.Ds0078 Full Strings2 110 c-b4
2.Prst00893 Vox Pad 1 110 +1 Oct c-b4
3.Prst00898 Synvox 2 127 c5-g9

USER 02.Call Me SOLO
1.Ds0131 Edye Boost 110 b3-g9
2.Psrt0441 Hybrid Str 2 120 +2 Oct c-bb3 PB/no
3.User0575 EDMlead 80 -1 Oct b3-g9
4.DS0017 Acc.Master 97 b3-g9
5.DS0180 Orbit Pad 127 c-bb3 PB/no
I'm going to dive into this! I was using only the Edye Boost and it sounded close....
hi guys
here you can give a look at the tutorial that i have created for playing this song in a BAND!
i only use stock sounds with my JUNO DS 76

https://youtu.be/2JhexcIpZhw

subscribe for more tutorial!
E