Newbie here - How to increase bass frequency on organ patches

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
LouieLouieAce

Newbie here - How to increase bass frequency on organ patches

Post by LouieLouieAce »

I'm a church music guy. I pulled my new DS61 out of the box a few hours ago. I've noticed that some of the organ patches do not have a lot of bass output (others have a lot). Even adjusting the global equalizer with the four knobs doesn't get me there. Other than combining a bass instrument patch with an organ patch in performance mode, is there a way to bump up low-frequency output on some of the patches? Sorry to be so dense. Maybe in 4 years I'll have this thing figured out.
Silken Path

Re: Newbie here - How to increase bass frequency on organ patches

Post by Silken Path »

Hey, Louie,

I also use a DS61 to play hymns, but all the organs I've saved have one or two other organs "under them." I'm an old guy and organist hobby who only recently discovered the world of personal synths, and my idea of workflow may not match your's. "Nuff said. Here's what I've saved so far.

1 ChurchOrg XP
ChurchOrgSRX
ChurchOrg XP (Ch. 3 is pedals)

2. Chapel Organ
Multi Reeds
Chapel Organ

3. Chapel Organ
Waving Goodbye
ChurchOrg XP

4. Pipe Organ 2
Masked Opera
Cathedral

5. Cathedral
Pipe Organ 1
R&B Organ 1

6. D50 Organ 1
Chapel Organ
D50 Organ 1

7. Chapel Organ
Sacred Tree
Chapel Organ

8. Chapel Organ
Paleface 1
Chapel Organ

I have Exp. Pack 10 installed, and the sys version is 2.10. I got an all black one because I like the looks. :)

I'm using a JG portable midi pedalboard with it. I wrote a review of it here:

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/org ... pedalboard

Chapel Org is good by itself, too. I also rather like the D-50 organ.

I have a couple of Roland 60 watt keyboard amps, and they add some oomph to the bass. I'm not sure I'd really want much more in the garage where I play.

I think that the DS-61 is an amazing amount of capability for the price. I haven't actually figured it out yet, but I have a head start on you.

Congrats on your new DS-61. I hope it treats you as well as mine has treated me.
Silken Path

Re: Newbie here - How to increase bass frequency on organ patches

Post by Silken Path »

What I do is adjust the second tone until the first tone sounds better to me. For example,

Chapel Organ @ 127
WavinGoodbye @ 33-55

and put the third channel one or two octaves below (for the pedals).

And by default select the lower row (press Select twice) and the three knobs (Assign1, Assign2, Assign3) become tone control knobs.

So other than the tone controls and an amp with a big speaker, this has been about how I have organ sounds set up. I hope it helps.

Lamar