Connecting JunoDS to an iPad

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
vespina

Connecting JunoDS to an iPad

Post by vespina »

I am coming again with this topic. I just bought an original Apple Camera adapter. I plugged the connector on my iPhone, then connected my Roland JunoDS to the adapter, using an USB cable. Installed the Korg Module from the Apple Store... played something on my Roland .. and nothing happened on the app....I even changed the MIDI driver to GENERIC and make sure the Korg Module were listening on Channel 1, but still nothing... what am I missing???
vespina

Re: Connecting JunoDS to an iPad

Post by vespina »

I finally got this to work by setting Juno's MIDI driver setting to GENERIC and then restarting the keyboard. That way I could connect my Juno to my iPad and use it to trigger sounds on the Korg module app... but, the iPad won't recognize the audio interface on the Juno because it seems not to be class-compliant, so instead redirecting the sound thru my Juno, it played thru the iPad's internal speakers.

So, at this point the only way to get what I was looking for would be to insert a powered USB midi host and an external class-compliant audio interface in the mix, so the iPad would be connected to this USB midi host (using the camera adapter), as well the Juno and the external audio interface. With this setup the Juno can trigger sounds on the iPad (and we can set that part level to zero on the Juno to prevent the internal sound) and the sound output of the iPad would be sent to the external audio interface.

Waaay more complicated that I was hooping to be. :(
mnca

Post by mnca »

Yeah it's a true shame as I'm sure it could be rectified with software updates from roland. Most of my yamaha equipment ranging from mixers to keyboards work fine with ios and are able to utilize their own built in audio interface.
vespina

Post by vespina »

mnca wrote: 04:17, 19 July 2021 Yeah it's a true shame as I'm sure it could be rectified with software updates from roland. Most of my yamaha equipment ranging from mixers to keyboards work fine with ios and are able to utilize their own built in audio interface.
Yeah, its a real bump... how much would have affected costs for JunoDS to include a class-compliant audio interface? As you said, its a true shame... this keyboard is so versatile that having the ability to easily expand its sounds using an external "module" like an iPad and taking advantage of the integrated audio interface, would have been AWESOME!.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

vespina wrote: 05:04, 21 July 2021 how much would have affected costs for JunoDS to include a class-compliant audio interface?
I don't know, but the Juno DS is a budget instrument, after all. I wonder if the cost/ease of implementing such a thing may also depend on the core hardware and software that the board is running under. Some boards (Kronos, some Yamahas) run on a customized version of Linux. Since Linux already has established underlying architectural support for certain drivers, it may be easier to build that feature into those boards, i.e. if the basic software support already exists in the platform they're building on.
vespina

Post by vespina »

anotherscott wrote: 18:46, 21 July 2021 I don't know, but the Juno DS is a budget instrument, after all. I wonder if the cost/ease of implementing such a thing may also depend on the core hardware and software that the board is running under. Some boards (Kronos, some Yamahas) run on a customized version of Linux. Since Linux already has established underlying architectural support for certain drivers, it may be easier to build that feature into those boards, i.e. if the basic software support already exists in the platform they're building on.
Good point. It may have something to do with that, indeed.
gospelmusic4life

Post by gospelmusic4life »

This is one of the reasons I use the regular iPad. I plug my iPad 3.5mm into the audio in of the Juno.
vespina

Post by vespina »

gospelmusic4life wrote: 00:27, 10 December 2021 This is one of the reasons I use the regular iPad. I plug my iPad 3.5mm into the audio in of the Juno.
Problem with that is those iPad are now obsolete and can't run the newest versions of iOS, which means that many of the music apps available out there won't work at all on those iPads.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

vespina wrote: 22:13, 10 January 2022 Problem with that is those iPad are now obsolete and can't run the newest versions of iOS
There are many iPad models that have headphone jacks that still run the current OS.
AaronPDX1

Post by AaronPDX1 »

I get a noticeable light hiss once I connect my iPad's 1/8'' to my Juno's external in... Makes me a little hesitant to try it on stage.
gospelmusic4life

I need to login more often. 😃 I only hear hiss based on the quality of cables and equipment I use with the 3.5m headphone jack. My presonus audio interface also works with my base model iPad so if hiss was an issue I can use that instead of the headphone jack. The old din keyboard midi cables can plug into the audio interface also so that I have midi and audio from the keyboard into the iPad.
vespina

Post by vespina »

I think the best way (specially for stage) would be to use a MIDI hub, then connect the iPad, the Juno and an external class-complaint audio interface to that hub. This way, MIDI messages would travel thru the hub to the iPad, and the sound generated by the iPad would travel thru the hub to the audio interface with no hiss at all.
gospelmusic4life

I’ve found that using one of those ground loop usb adapters that came with my Arturia Keystep gets rid of most of that noise also.