New Juno DS coming soon?

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Asoyini

Re: New Juno DS coming soon?

Post by Asoyini »

anotherscott2022 wrote: 01:00, 10 May 2022
Asoyini wrote: 00:19, 10 May 2022 Though the current Juno DS is still a big seller Roland may decide to introduce a Zen Core based version to the lineup. If so, it will be interesting to see how they implement it!
I described a possible way to implement an "even lower end" Fantom in my April 25 post earlier in this thread. Below the Fantom-0, it could be the Fantom-00. So maybe a Fantom-006 and Fantom-008, but any Bond fan of course hold out for the Fantom-007.
Fantom-0 is already pretty streamlined so I hope they don't cut down the big Fantom even further to make a new Juno DS. Plus it is pretty confusing with the names so adding another Fantom-00x would not be ideal imo. I would like for them to keep the Juno name and lineage intact by adding the features people have been asking for at an affordable price point. I would prefer to see a streamlined Juno X interface (at least 4 knobs, appropriate sliders & at least 8 pads) with a Zen Core 16 part multi-timbral engine with deep programming ability, I-arpeggio function, at least 8 track Pattern Sequencer, Audio Player, ability to load legacy and new sound expansion packs, dedicated software editor, improved DAW intergration for Ableton Live and at least an 8 in 2 out USB Audio interface would be great!
vespina

Post by vespina »

Asoyini wrote: 00:19, 10 May 2022 Yeah you guys may be right. Though the current Juno DS is still a big seller Roland may decide to introduce a Zen Core based version to the lineup. If so, it will be interesting to see how they implement it!
I just hope they keep what makes the JunoDS such a delight to play live.
vespina

Post by vespina »

Asoyini wrote: 00:19, 10 May 2022 Though the current Juno DS is still a big seller Roland may decide to introduce a Zen Core based version to the lineup. If so, it will be interesting to see how they implement it!
I described a possible way to implement an "even lower end" Fantom in my April 25 post earlier in this thread. Below the Fantom-0, it could be the Fantom-00. So maybe a Fantom-006 and Fantom-008, but any Bond fan of course hold out for the Fantom-007.
If they release a new model to replace JunoDS, I REALLY hope they go for a different name than FANTOM :)... maybe JunoDX ? :)
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

Asoyini wrote: 10:08, 10 May 2022 Fantom-0 is already pretty streamlined so I hope they don't cut down the big Fantom even further to make a new Juno DS.
I think the "Fantom-00" I described would be a pretty nice replacement model if it could be done around the Juno DS price point. I "left in" enough that it would still be a superset of the current capabilities of the Juno DS (well, skipping the part about maybe cutting it down to less than 16 parts).
Asoyini wrote: 10:08, 10 May 2022 I would like for them to keep the Juno name and lineage intact
The thing is, they have two distinct lineages. The 20th century Junos were synthesizers derived from a Jupiter foundation. The 21st century Junos--up until the Juno X-- were essentially romplers derived from a Fantom foundation. So the capabilities and the interface approaches are pretty different.
vespina wrote: 17:07, 10 May 2022 If they release a new model to replace JunoDS, I REALLY hope they go for a different name than FANTOM :)... maybe JunoDX ? :)
I think that it's a little messy right now, using "Juno" to refer to both an updated version of a 20th century "synth" Juno (Juno X) AND a Fantom S/X-based "rompler" Juno (Juno DS), I think it creates a confusing identity for what is called "Juno." Now that they have moved back in the direction of using Juno for Jupiter-derived synth-focussed boards, I think a future sub-$1000 ZEN-Core based Juno DS replacement would likely have the Juno name if it presents itself with a synth interface like the Juno X and Jupiters, and will more likely have a Fantom-derived name if it presents itself as an all-around multi-timbral rompler/"workstation-style" board (which I put in quotes because even the Fantoms aren't workstations per se).
Asoyini

Post by Asoyini »

vespina wrote: 17:07, 10 May 2022
If they release a new model to replace JunoDS, I REALLY hope they go for a different name than FANTOM :)... maybe JunoDX ? :)
oOoOOh I like that....Juno DX. 👍🏼
Asoyini

Post by Asoyini »

anotherscott2022 wrote: 17:26, 10 May 2022
Asoyini wrote: 10:08, 10 May 2022 Fantom-0 is already pretty streamlined so I hope they don't cut down the big Fantom even further to make a new Juno DS.
I think the "Fantom-00" I described would be a pretty nice replacement model if it could be done around the Juno DS price point. I "left in" enough that it would still be a superset of the current capabilities of the Juno DS (well, skipping the part about maybe cutting it down to less than 16 parts).
Asoyini wrote: 10:08, 10 May 2022 I would like for them to keep the Juno name and lineage intact
The thing is, they have two distinct lineages. The 20th century Junos were synthesizers derived from a Jupiter foundation. The 21st century Junos--up until the Juno X-- were essentially romplers derived from a Fantom foundation. So the capabilities and the interface approaches are pretty different.
vespina wrote: 17:07, 10 May 2022 If they release a new model to replace JunoDS, I REALLY hope they go for a different name than FANTOM :)... maybe JunoDX ? :)
I think that it's a little messy right now, using "Juno" to refer to both an updated version of a 20th century "synth" Juno (Juno X) AND a Fantom S/X-based "rompler" Juno (Juno DS), I think it creates a confusing identity for what is called "Juno." Now that they have moved back in the direction of using Juno for Jupiter-derived synth-focussed boards, I think a future sub-$1000 ZEN-Core based Juno DS replacement would likely have the Juno name if it presents itself with a synth interface like the Juno X and Jupiters, and will more likely have a Fantom-derived name if it presents itself as an all-around multi-timbral rompler/"workstation-style" board (which I put in quotes because even the Fantoms aren't workstations per se).
A best of both world would be ideal imo. Combining some of the features from the Jupiter lineage era with some of the features of the Fantom lineage era. The Juno DS is affordable, fun to play and remains a top seller from Roland. I hope they don't stray to far from what is working for the Juno DS and makes it so successful.
vespina

Post by vespina »

anotherscott2022 wrote: 17:26, 10 May 2022 I think that it's a little messy right now, using "Juno" to refer to both an updated version of a 20th century "synth" Juno (Juno X) AND a Fantom S/X-based "rompler" Juno (Juno DS), I think it creates a confusing identity for what is called "Juno." Now that they have moved back in the direction of using Juno for Jupiter-derived synth-focussed boards, I think a future sub-$1000 ZEN-Core based Juno DS replacement would likely have the Juno name if it presents itself with a synth interface like the Juno X and Jupiters, and will more likely have a Fantom-derived name if it presents itself as an all-around multi-timbral rompler/"workstation-style" board (which I put in quotes because even the Fantoms aren't workstations per se).
Nice comment!
vespina

Post by vespina »

Asoyini wrote: 17:34, 10 May 2022 A best of both world would be ideal imo. Combining some of the features from the Jupiter lineage era with some of the features of the Fantom lineage era. The Juno DS is affordable, fun to play and remains a top seller from Roland. I hope they don't stray to far from what is working for the Juno DS and makes it so successful.
Yes! I would expect to find in the new model things like the four volume faders, the pads and the pattern sequencer with the loop/mute functions. Those functions are the ones making the JunoDS so fun to play with.
Vihan

Post by Vihan »

Im jist thinking to buy Juno DS88 and I feel like it’s still update for me for today DAW 😁