Tip: How to use patches from multiple EXP packs

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Asoyini

Tip: How to use patches from multiple EXP packs

Post by Asoyini »

Hey everyone! I would like to share how I workaround using patches from multiple EXP packs on the DS.

1. Copy the patch from an EXP pack that you like to user memory.

2. Go into patch edit for that sound and identify the waveforms(tones) used to create that patch.

3. Sample those individual waveforms (tones) in the patch into your DAW.

4. Import those samples back into the DS into the Sample memory bank (you can use Tone Manager to help you do this)

5. Go back to the patch you saved into User memory in step 1. In patch edit, change the tones of the patch from the EXP location to the Sample bank location that you just loaded into the DS.

6. Save!!!!! lol

This way, you don't have to have that EXP pack loaded in order to use an EXP patch because the tones needed for that sound are now coming from your Sample memory bank in the DS instead of from the EXP bank 😁
amodomiopiano

Re: Tip: How to use patches from multiple EXP packs

Post by amodomiopiano »

Hi thanx for the tips but i can't do that!

can you do a video tutorial?

please and thanx
E
vespina

Post by vespina »

Asoyini wrote: 20:22, 5 April 2022 Hey everyone! I would like to share how I workaround using patches from multiple EXP packs on the DS.

1. Copy the patch from an EXP pack that you like to user memory.

2. Go into patch edit for that sound and identify the waveforms(tones) used to create that patch.

4. Import those samples back into the DS into the Sample memory bank (you can use Tone Manager to help you do this)

5. Go back to the patch you saved into User memory in step 1. In patch edit, change the tones of the patch from the EXP location to the Sample bank location that you just loaded into the DS.

6. Save!!!!! lol

This way, you don't have to have that EXP pack loaded in order to use an EXP patch because the tones needed for that sound are now coming from your Sample memory bank in the DS instead of from the EXP bank 😁
You only have to do that if the patch is using one or more waveforms from the EXP itself. If the patch uses stock waveforms, you just have to save your patch as an user patch.
amodomiopiano

Post by amodomiopiano »

Asoyini wrote: 20:22, 5 April 2022

how can i do that?!?!

please help me
thanx
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

vespina wrote: 12:59, 24 June 2022 You only have to do that if the patch is using one or more waveforms from the EXP itself. If the patch uses stock waveforms, you just have to save your patch as an user patch.
All the patches in EXP expansions use waveforms in those expansions.
Amar4nth

Post by Amar4nth »

Could someone plz expain in a few words how this is done?
I'm new to synth world and I find my self struggling with these things.
Thanks!
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

Amar4nth wrote: 12:46, 5 November 2022 3. Sample those individual waveforms (tones) in the patch into your DAW.

Could someone plz expain in a few words how this is done?
Although the concept in the OP looks good, rather than a DAW, I'd sample the sounds using a program designed specifically for sampling sounds.

PC: SampleRobot, Samplit, Extreme Sample Converter
Mac: SampleRobot, Samplit, the autosampler in Logic Pro

I've used apps like that to sample entire patches, which is a simpler process (you usually want to sample it without any effects, though... and then put the same effects on the sound after you import back into the DS), but sampling the raw "individual waveforms" as suggested by the OP is likely to get you better results and also make more efficient use of the sample space, and also allow any other sounds from the expansion pack that use those same waves to also work. So I understand why that's what the OP is suggested, which sounds like a good idea, though I've never tried anything like that myself, and don't know off-hand how easy it is to identify/access those "individual waveforms" outside of the patch they are used in, because I've never gotten into any kind of deeper programming on the board. With either approach, though, I think one of the programs above would be the easiest way to get the samples you want into the computer, even though those programs as documented are intended more for the "bring in a patch" approach than the "bring in the individual waveforms" approach.
Fretzkey1

Post by Fretzkey1 »

Thank You,
I just uploaded a question on this exact topic, and it hasn't even been approved by the moderators yet. I just looked in to see if it had been, and here is the answer to my question.
I tried a few searches first, but I didn't think of EXP.

Thanks I will try this later. This gets around the fact that there are a few 'must haves' in practically every pack that came with the JUNO!

Dan
Amar4nth

Post by Amar4nth »

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain everything!
I will definitely try that
RabbitDS

Post by RabbitDS »

Hey, thanks for that description, Asoyini!

Before doing that, it's probably worth to look if there's a stock waveform similar enough to replace it, so you don't have to bother with the sample.
I didn't try and have no idea, how special the EXP-samples are in most cases.