TIP: How To Create A Patch With Chord Memory

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Asoyini

Post by Asoyini »

1. Go into Patch Edit menu and scroll over to the Pitch settings.
2. For each Tone change the pitch to correspond to the note you want to play.
- For example Tone 1(Root note) leave the Course Tune setting at 0.
- Tone 2 (3rd) change the Course Tune setting to +4 (4 half steps from the Root).
- Tone 3 (5th) change the Course Tune setting to +7 (7 half steps from the Root).
3. Save the patch.
Now when you press one key on the keyboard it will play a Major Triad. For example, press C4 (middle C) and you will hear C Major.
vespina

Re: TIP: How To Create A Patch With Chord Memory

Post by vespina »

Nice tip. I would called it "auto chord" instead of "chord memory", since chord memory function works in a different way (you play a chord or series of chords that are saved to a button for quick recall). Only downside is that you can't mix major and minor chords this way... or maybe you can do it, but using 2 separate patches (one programmed for major chords (1-3-5) and another programmed for minor chords (1-3b-5)) splitted in two consecutive octaves... this way you can play a note in the first octave to play your major chords and a note in the second octave to play minor chords.
Asoyini

Post by Asoyini »

vespina wrote: 17:32, 9 May 2022 Nice tip. I would called it "auto chord" instead of "chord memory", since chord memory function works in a different way (you play a chord or series of chords that are saved to a button for quick recall). Only downside is that you can't mix major and minor chords this way... or maybe you can do it, but using 2 separate patches (one programmed for major chords (1-3-5) and another programmed for minor chords (1-3b-5)) splitted in two consecutive octaves... this way you can play a note in the first octave to play your major chords and a note in the second octave to play minor chords.
Chord Memory, as I know it, is the ability to play a chord by touching a single key. But anyhoo, yes you can set up your patches as you need them, major chords, minor chords etc...and then assign the chord memory patches to different regions of the keyboard! Also, since there are 4 tones per patch, you can program 7th chords, Sus2, Sus4 chords etc...as you need them!
vespina

Post by vespina »

Asoyini wrote: 00:13, 10 May 2022
vespina wrote: 17:32, 9 May 2022 Nice tip. I would called it "auto chord" instead of "chord memory", since chord memory function works in a different way (you play a chord or series of chords that are saved to a button for quick recall). Only downside is that you can't mix major and minor chords this way... or maybe you can do it, but using 2 separate patches (one programmed for major chords (1-3-5) and another programmed for minor chords (1-3b-5)) splitted in two consecutive octaves... this way you can play a note in the first octave to play your major chords and a note in the second octave to play minor chords.
Chord Memory, as I know it, is the ability to play a chord by touching a single key. But anyhoo, yes you can set up your patches as you need them, major chords, minor chords etc...and then assign the chord memory patches to different regions of the keyboard! Also, since there are 4 tones per patch, you can program 7th chords, Sus2, Sus4 chords etc...as you need them!
The keyboards I've seen with chord memory function works like this:

1. You press the chord
2. You press a trigger button that will now play that chord
3. You press another chord
4. You press another thrigget button to save that chord
5. Repeat this for as many chords / trigger buttons you need / are available
6. Now press the trigger buttons to play those prerecorded chords.

Now, the keyboards that allows you to play a chord using just one finger are normally arrangers, and they are more versatile... for example, if you press the C key, you will get a C major chord... press C + D# keys, then you will get a Cm chord. Press C + D# + A# and you get a Cm7 chord. That's not chord memory but auto-chord.
Asoyini

Post by Asoyini »

vespina wrote: 16:51, 10 May 2022
Asoyini wrote: 00:13, 10 May 2022
The keyboards I've seen with chord memory function works like this:

1. You press the chord
2. You press a trigger button that will now play that chord
3. You press another chord
4. You press another thrigget button to save that chord
5. Repeat this for as many chords / trigger buttons you need / are available
6. Now press the trigger buttons to play those prerecorded chords.

Now, the keyboards that allows you to play a chord using just one finger are normally arrangers, and they are more versatile... for example, if you press the C key, you will get a C major chord... press C + D# keys, then you will get a Cm chord. Press C + D# + A# and you get a Cm7 chord. That's not chord memory but auto-chord.
lol I agree but respectfully disagree as some arranger keyboards call being able to play a chord with 1 finger chord memory. Nevertheless, both techniques are viable and achieve the same results when utilized properly.