DS88 (or) DS61 + FP10

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Vihan

DS88 (or) DS61 + FP10

Post by Vihan »

Hello Everyone,

I’m thinking to buy Juno DS and can’t decide yet for DS88 or DS61/FP10 set up. Both ways are in same price range.
My goal is to produce some fusion/world music and in the same time I would like to play/practice classical Piano too.

I have experience with my uncle’s Yamaha acoustic Baby Grand for over 3 years and so I really love the PHA4 action on Fp30x as soon as I touch the keys even without power on. But 30x + ds61 is out of my budget so Im thinking for Fp10 + ds61.
But instead of buying two KBs. I just wanna know DS88 can do both for production and piano feels? I have no experience with DS88 keys and I read online it also great for Piano playing too. So my questions are,

1. Is DS61 synth keys better than DS88 weighted keys in ethnic instruments playing? Like flutes, bowed etc…
2. Does DS88 have string resonance/ key off resonance like fp10?
3. Can I play DS sounds from FP10 via Midi?

Thanks
Hav a good day!
xp30

Re: DS88 (or) DS61 + FP10

Post by xp30 »

Regarding the feel of weighted keys on the DS-88 vs FP-10: I always recommend going to a store that has them on display, and trying them. It is a very subjective topic, and the important part is if the action feels right to you, and not if it feels right to someone else.

Playing other instruments on a keyboard has a lot to do with practice. For example, I find it interesting that Jordan Rudess uses a Kronos with weighted 88 keys live, although he primarily plays fast synth licks. I do not have the finger strength for that, however, if I would have practiced more piano, then maybe I would prefer a weighted action.

If you are on a tight budget, then I would recommend taking a look at the used market. I have seen many offers for these entry-level instruments in good condition at a fraction of the price that you pay for a new one.
vespina

Post by vespina »

Well, the thing is the FP10 doesn't have a DIN9 MIDI OUT port, just USB MIDI... so, you have two options:

a) Connect both keyboards to a personal mixer and then connect that mixer to the main PA. This way you can play piano on the FP10 (using only FP10's sounds) and other sounds on the Juno

b) Buy a MIDI HOST and then connect both JunoDS and FP10 to the host using USB cable. This way you can use FP10 to trigger piano sounds from the JunoDS directly and you would just need to connect your JunoDS to the main PA.

Now, the other issue here is what are your needs. If you only need to play piano parts, then a single JunoDS88 makes more sense. If you need to play piano, synth and organ, then the JunoDS61 + FP10 may make sense. You could also consider a MIDI controller like the StudioLogic SL88 or the more versatile NumaCompact 2X. Both of them will work nicely with JunoDS.
Tiguspca

Post by Tiguspca »

I agree with XP30 regarding feel. If the DS88 has the same keybed as my FA08, personnally, I like the action but it' does feel a little "spongy". What I mean is that if you play the same not rapidly, it might not respond as fast as you would like. For the type of music that I play, it is not anissue but for classical you might be disapointed. I know the systems setting of the FA allows you to adjust it lighter or heavier and even play with the velocity curve. However, it won't make the key come back up faster than the way it isdesigned. Go in a store and try it well with a few songs that need the fast action to be sure that it's does what you want it to do.

Cheers,
GP
Aqueum

Post by Aqueum »

Did you reach a decision? If it helps, I bought an FP-30X with stand and am now regretting it. I was told that the FP-10 stand is compatible with the RD-88 (although I haven't seen documents supporting that) so somewhat wish I'd gone that direction.
gospelmusic4life

Post by gospelmusic4life »

I find the Juno DS 88 can be tiring depending on how you play it but I also find that different patches feel different as far as responsiveness. I also have found that when I am using VSTs with the Juno the pianos can be very expressive depending on how many velocity layers the VST was recorded with. If you find the sweet spot with the keys on the Juno and the right sound it has triggered pretty fast for me.