How to merge from one sound to another seamlessly

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
richie2uk

How to merge from one sound to another seamlessly

Post by richie2uk »

Hi all,
First post here, and I'm a novice. I've made a patch of piano + strings and saved this as a favourite. Good sound, just as I want it. But... when I change from say "rock piano" preset, over to my own patch, there is a moment of silence / dead air, which sounds awful. You can hear the changeover for a split second, there is no sound. But using the presets and storing them as favorites they merge from one to the other seamlessly, no dead air. Any ideas what I need to do here or is this just the way it is when you replace a preset with your own sounds?
vespina

Re: How to merge from one sound to another seamlessly

Post by vespina »

Create a performance with your custom patch and save it as a favorite. Then change from your Rock Piano patch to your performance and it should change smoothly.
richie2uk

Post by richie2uk »

Thanks for replying. This (I think) is what I did. I created mix of studio drum kit and piano, with a split point so I can do both in the song.
I saved this as a favourite. But when I switch to "piano" from my custom sound, there is a nasty gap. This doesn't happen with the pre-set Juno patches, only with my custom performance patches, using a dual setting for two different sounds .Going from say Piano to Strings patches, there is a clever sustain as you switch patches which covers the awkward space as you switch. Does this make sense?
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

It may be related to what effects were in use on the sounds you're switching from and to.