Performance with multiple patches / KBD Range?

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
Kukulkan

Performance with multiple patches / KBD Range?

Post by Kukulkan »

Hi,

I'm new to the Roland JUNO-DS and I need to create a performance that plays three instruments (patches). And two of them should only play on the left side below E3.

I tried to use the Performance Mode, let the first three parts listen on channel 1 (LEVEL/CH->RxCH) and set the Keyboard Range (KBD->Range) for patch 2 and 3 to C- to E3 but the sounds all play over the whole keyboard, no matter what I set here. I'm getting crazy :-(

Any hints about how to get what I want?
vespina

Re: Performance with multiple patches / KBD Range?

Post by vespina »

This is the way to do what you want:

1. Activate performance mode
2. Edit the performance (Menu->Edit->Performance edit)
3. Assign the patch for your rigth hand on part 1. Make sure KBD parameter is set to ON
4. Go to KBD page and increase the RngLo value to F3. Keep RngUp in G9
5. Assign first patch ffor your left hand on part2. Make sure KBD parameter is set to ON
6. Go to KBD page and set RngUp value to E3
7. Repeat steps 4,5 & 6 for the 2nd patch for your left hand.
8. Press WRITE and save your performance in an empty slot.

You have to take in consideration a couple of concepts about JunoDS performances:

1. When a part's KBD value is set to OFF (the default), that part will only produce sound when its selected (using the PADS). So, if you set a piano in part 1 and an organ in part 2, both with KBD=OFF, you have to press PAD 1 to play the piano and then PAD 2 to play the organ. This is handy when you play with a MIDI controller, because you can set your controller to use, let's say, channel 16 and then you can assign whatever patch you want play on the controller on part 16 of your performance with KBD=OFF so it would only sound when played from the MIDI controller.

2. When a part's KBD is set to ON, it would produce sound regardless its the current part or not. So, you can layer 2 or more sounds in a performance by simply set their KBD set to ON.

3. Another way to layer 2 or more sounds is by assign them to the same value in the RxCh value on the LEVEL/CH page. So, if I set a piano on PART 1 and a pad on PART 2, both with KBD=OFF and RxCh=1, they both will sound at the same time regardless which one is currently selected.

4. Because all explained above, you can create layers using both KBD=ON and KBD=OFF, but Splits can only be achieved using KBD=ON.

Victor Espina