Juno DS 76 - Setting for strings slow release with sustain pedal

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
luizsilveira

Juno DS 76 - Setting for strings slow release with sustain pedal

Post by luizsilveira »

Hi! I just got this unit for testing and I have to decide whether I'll keep it. It's been tough, because I'm finding the patching editing capabilities to be really strong but really convoluted. I'd like a few organ patches but didn't like the factory ones at all. I'm yet to install Tone Manager, maybe it'll get a bit better.

Anyway, onto the main issue. In my previous keyboard, a Yamaha PSR, the sustain pedal had this behaviour with strings and organ patches: while the keys are pressed, the sound will go on indefinitely. Releasing the key would trigger the release of course. However, pressing the sustain pedal and releasing the keys would cause the sound to fade (release) very very slowly (as if with a long release).

I loved this feature! There are no situations in which I want an indefinitely long sound while releasing the keys, so the sustain pedal actually worked as a pretty good on-the-spot release editor to very good effect.

Question is: is there any way to replicate this in this Roland unit?

I've looked into all the parameters and couldn't find any. I saw there is a LFO setting which is "SUST" or "NOSUS" but this seems to affect the sound whether the key or the hold pedal is pressed. I found no way to differentiate between the two, like my Yamaha does.

Thanks!

ps: as a side question, I also couldn't find a way to edit what the modulation wheel does. It's usually vibrato, yet some times it's rotary. I got it that one can set the MFX to rotary (or rotary VK), but even when I set the right MFX the wheel would still cause the vibrato of organ sounds. How does one turn it off, is it just LFO?
vespina

Re: Juno DS 76 - Setting for strings slow release with sustain pedal

Post by vespina »

Not easy questions, for sure. I agree with you; JunoDS is a blast for live playing and performances (combi) creation, but patch editing is not for everybody... not friendly AT ALL.