Multiple breath-controlled patches in a single performance

Forum for Juno-DS and XPS-30 keyboards
tomo

Multiple breath-controlled patches in a single performance

Post by tomo »

I'm using Juno DS as a part of my rig for performances with a band. I'm extensively using a breath controller, especially for brass, winds, and other expressive sounds. I have programmed a number of custom patches that respond to my breath controller unit (TEControl UNI MIDI Breath Controller). However, I still haven't found a way to have multiple breath-controlled sounds in a single performance and to switch between them on the fly.

The unit itself can use any CC number on one of the 16 MIDI channels, but there is no Omni mode in its settings. So the BC patches in a performance sound only when set to MIDI ch 1. I would like to have several patches that respond to BC in a performance, but to sound only when this part is selected. For example, when I put two BC patches in a performance, I have to set both to MIDI ch 1 for them to work. However, both of them are then played simultaneously, which is not what I want. I thought that if the KBD parameter of a patch is set to OFF, that part should be silent unless currently selected.

I would appreciate any help on this.
vespina

Re: Multiple breath-controlled patches in a single performance

Post by vespina »

I am afraid the only way to pull that would be to use the SOLO option; you create the performance as usual (all parts mapped to CH 1) and then use the SOLO switch to activate only the patch you want to play at the time.... it would be far better to do it using the pads, but its not possible. Another option could be to use an external midi controller (like Korg nano pad) capable of sending SysEx message, and program the pads to activate the SOLO switch on a particular part (if such a thing was possible on the JunoDS... you will need to connect the JunoDS to your computer, run a MIDI monitor app and then activate the SOLO switch on a part and see if a MIDI message shows on the monitor).
tomo

Re: Multiple breath-controlled patches in a single performance

Post by tomo »

Thank you kindly for your answer and suggestions, vespina!

Unfortunately, none of this is practical for me, at least not in live situations. It seems I'll have to manage with having only one BC-controlled patch per performance and use an expression pedal for additional parts when needed. The option of using the pads is what I use extensively for switching various parts during a performance, so it's a pity you can't use them in this case.