Next Generation of System series

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Happy

Next Generation of System series

Post by Happy »

Things from the forum and additional things

System/12 or System/16

[1] 5 octave keybed
[2] Fatar keybed (like on the DSI OB/P6/Rev2)
[3] Well documented MIDI sysex patch dumps specification (individual patch and banks) for each
different device, see [5]
[4] Firmware/plugout loading via MIDI sysex
[5] Each plugout controllable via a seperate USB MIDI device (4 USB MIDI devices on 1 USB connector)
= different MIDI sysex implementation per device
[6] Total 12 to 16 voices
[7] 3 True OSCs
[8] Aftertouch
[9] 4 LFO's, 4 ADSR per part
[10] 4 parts multi-timbral
[11] 4 seperate plugouts can run in parallel
[12] 2 individual stereo audio outs or 4 Balanced
[13] Build in 90-240V, 50/60Hz international Power supply
[14] Metal casing
[15] CV in and outs
[16] USB host connector to connect SD or other storage device
[17] Class compliant USB 2.0 Audio and MIDI mode (no OS drivers)
[18] HP/LP filter switchable in parallel/series
[19] More Modulation Routings
[20] Decouple the sequencer from the voice playing
[21] MPE & MPE split mode (random & assign fixed MIDI channel number per note)
(In MPE mode only 1 part can be used) when using external MIDI device (only)
[22] Assignable fixed number of Unison voices per part
[23] Assignable maximum/reserved number of voices per part
[24] Polyphony for legacy plugouts
4 voices for System-100/Promars/SH-2/Sh-101 plugouts, Boutique SH-01A already is 4 voice !)
[25] JX3/8P, MKS-50, Jupiter 4/6, Aplha-Juno plugouts
[26] Remove Vocoder/Sequencer for hardware cost savings
[27] keep the DIN MIDI Interface (each part on separate channel)
[28] VSTs and standalone full editor + librarian
[29] Can load System-1 patches and plugout
[30] Reduce cost for System-100/Promars/SH-2/Sh-101 plugouts
[31] Put Soundbanks on Axial
[32] Additional waves on the OSC (or loadable waveforms)

System/4m or System-8/m

[1] 2 or 4 parts multi-timbral.
[2] 4 or 8 voices per part
[3] All existing plugouts assignable 1 to 4 voice per part
[4] Same form factor as system-1m (Eurorack)
[5] Can be used as an expander for the System/12 to add 4 or 8 voices.
GilgaFrank

Re: Next Generation of System series

Post by GilgaFrank »

Happy wrote:Things from the forum and additional things

System/12 or System/16

[1] 5 octave keybed
[2] Fatar keybed (like on the DSI OB/P6/Rev2)
The keybed would need to see a drasrtic improvement. With aftertouch!
Happy wrote: [7] 3 True OSCs
[9] 4 LFO's, 4 ADSR per part
Do you mean analogue VCO's? That would mean a complete redesign on the instrument and it wouldn't be compatible with Roland's plugout system. More LFO's would be nice.
Happy wrote: [15] CV in and outs
[16] USB host connector to connect SD or other storage device
[17] Class compliant USB 2.0 Audio and MIDI mode (no OS drivers)
How exactly would CV in work on a polyphonic mutlitimbral synth? Class compliant MIDI would be great but Roland seem to have some philosophical objection to it.
Happy wrote: [26] Remove Vocoder/Sequencer for hardware cost savings
[28] VSTs and standalone full editor + librarian
The vocoder is implemented in software, taking it out now would actually cost Roland money rather than saving anything. And yes, the lack of any included free VST and linrarian is obscene on a flagship synth.
Locksley

Post by Locksley »

I think it is pretty good as it is, just keep building on the basis - more plug-outs, both new ideas and a mix of old synths in a reimagine release.

We have no idea how they generate the voices; could the 'motor' of the System-8 be powerful enough to make 12-16 voices if the VCO/Filter where not overly complex?

These chips inside are powerful but we don't know there potential, and Roland are not saying anything.

An other thing - is the new SH101 boutique the same code as the AIRA but with 4voice unlocked, or is there a sonic difference through new code?

I was hoping for a Black Friday deal on the Plug-out site, been waiting for 11months (missed the last by a finger) and surprise, no sale.... Well, I guess I will buy one or two plug-outs but still......
Manic

Post by Manic »

It would be so awesome if they released plug-out software that is able to mix various parts of different legacy synths and new synths, which would then be able to plug-out. For example a jupiter-6 with tb-303 filter and juno-106 chorus
Happy

Post by Happy »

* CV could be done as on the MPC X. Ofcourse there is limited I/O, but using the menu to route several modular control voltages and or audio I/O to selected engines and parameter would be interesting.

* 3 OSCs + Sub. (remove "real")

* Module/Desktop format: Added this because most key-beds on synth are not of a that good quality/feel. (Take the Nord lead keybed for example = plastic toy) No thank you for some additional plastic eating space. US$999 for an S8 Desktop is fine. (with all S1+S8 plugins included :-) ) The DSI keybeds are IHMO fantastic for synths. YMMV. Not going for the Roland cloud version that won't work some moment in time, for example when Windows dumps Win32 MIDI support etc.. That is why they should open their MIDI spec, just like they always did so very well on older products to let 3prty make librarians and editors and single patch save/loads if they refuse to support it themselves. Ref: Roland stopped support for newer OSes the Ipad app for the Integra 7 which is still selling, YKWIM.. Roland + Software support = Oxymoron.

The forum has several other comments and suggestion , please add.... :-)
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

Look, I'm sorry, but I don't see the point of a new super improved System "X", without the Plug-Outs to support it.

Us System 8 users are STILL waiting for updates/new plugs - I'm almost too afraid to believe the concept is dead in the water.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

Roland Cloud basically killed off the System 8. Horrible keybed no 3rd OSC and no after touch warrants it not needed when everything can be had as plugins
papasan

Post by papasan »

Horrible keybed? I actually love the keyboard! It's perfect - don't touch it. No aftertouch... completely unnecessary IMO. Not enough voices, LFOs, OCSs, blah, blah, blah? They're all artificial problems that can be worked around IF you know your craft, understand your tools and use a bit of creativity to work around limitations. That's the creative process.

Making art is not about having the best, but rather it's making the best with what you have.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

A Jupiter 80 like architecture with SN and expanded ACB capabilities is my guess. I realize nobody but a very few have even taken the time to get to know the architecture of the JU80 but IMO it would be perfect for this.