Maybe the JP8000?
Maybe the JD800?
The Alpha Juno?
Nothing?

What you guys/gals think?
dcullina

Re: Wondering what else we will see as plugouts for the Syst

Post by dcullina »

I'm beginning to suspect nothing. They didn't make the 303 a plugout, which makes me wonder if they're done with them.
papasan

Post by papasan »

The JD and AJu have envelopes that wouldn't translate well to the S8 front panel. The JP-8000 or, better yet, do the JP-8080 and have the feedback OSC work in poly mode. That would be a nice feature.
mockba_the_borg

Post by mockba_the_borg »

Yes ... I am starting to fear it will be nothing.
I have two Varios (using as Varios8 and Varios303) and now the System-8.
I need to stop believing their "open-system" marketing trap and stop buying into their hype ... lol.

Things like the JP8000 (or JP8080) or even the SH201 (for example) would be nice to have.
Even though I have the JP8000 and I have a feeling it sounds better than similar System-8 sounds (which is topic for another discussion).

Anyways ... let's see what happens.
Stormchild

Post by Stormchild »

dcullina wrote:I'm beginning to suspect nothing. They didn't make the 303 a plugout, which makes me wonder if they're done with them.
I think the 303 just doesn't make sense as a plugout. The System-8 sequencer doesn't support accents or slides and (unless I missed something) you'd need a separate patch for every pattern. I guess they could add menu items for shuffle and randomize.

Would be nice to see a Jupiter-6 plugout at some point.
dcullina

Post by dcullina »

Stormchild wrote:I think the 303 just doesn't make sense as a plugout. The System-8 sequencer doesn't support accents or slides and (unless I missed something) you'd need a separate patch for every pattern. I guess they could add menu items for shuffle and randomize.
It’s true about needing a separate patch per pattern, but both ties between different notes (with legato slides) and per step velocity (accents) are very doable on the system-8 sequencer.
Stormchild

Post by Stormchild »

dcullina wrote:It’s true about needing a separate patch per pattern, but both ties between different notes (with legato slides) and per step velocity (accents) are very doable on the system-8 sequencer.
Yeah, It should at least be possible to use it as a plug-out if you want to.

I actually just bought a TB-03 the other day to have the real interface and sequencer. Although it's not exactly cheap, I think this is the way to go…or at least it should be, but unfortunately I'm a little disappointed with it. It looks great and feels solid, and sounds the same as the plugin (which is good…not as good as ABL3, but certainly good enough). But the knobs have a surprising 40% dead zone. Turning them below the "horizon" (the horizontal hash marks on either side) does nothing, because the entire value range is mapped to only 60% of the movement range. If you use it to control the plugin version (Roland Cloud) you can see the problem right away. The knob positions on the hardware only match the plugin at the center values, and get quickly out of sync as you move them away from center.

Since every knob has exactly the same behavior (and other people have reported the same issue), I don't think I got a bad one. Electronics are fine. Should be fixable with firmware but as far as I can tell it's been like this for years. I sent a bug report to Roland. Hopefully they can fix this, otherwise I think I'll return it. This thing has one job to do and for $500 it needs to do it properly.
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

I doubt if we'll see new plug-outs now, but I would like the Mono ones to be made polyphonic as there's plenty of DSP power in the System 8.
Stormchild

Post by Stormchild »

They could still do Jupiter-4 or Jupiter-6 plugouts. It makes sense to expand the collection, since it makes Roland Cloud more attractive (which brings in a constant supply of money). Both of those should work on the System-8.

What I really want is the JP-6 bandpass filter. If they did do a Jupiter-6 plugout, they could also add the modeled filter as another variation for the System-8 engine (like they did with the Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 filters). Honestly a bandpass filter should have been included in the S8 engine from the start.
Manic

Post by Manic »

Stormchild wrote:They could still do Jupiter-4 or Jupiter-6 plugouts. It makes sense to expand the collection, since it makes Roland Cloud more attractive (which brings in a constant supply of money). Both of those should work on the System-8.

What I really want is the JP-6 bandpass filter. If they did do a Jupiter-6 plugout, they could also add the modeled filter as another variation for the System-8 engine (like they did with the Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 filters). Honestly a bandpass filter should have been included in the S8 engine from the start.
I fully agree!!! Just like an unison detune option which the JP-6 has, but the S-8 doesn’t...
Stormchild

Post by Stormchild »

Manic wrote:I fully agree!!! Just like an unison detune option which the JP-6 has, but the S-8 doesn’t...
Ah yes, that would be great too!