Should I sell my boutiques and get a System 8?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Fourfiftyfour

Should I sell my boutiques and get a System 8?

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

With the Jupiter 8, Juno 106 and JX-3P plugins I'm wondering what's the point of owning those boutiques when I can go for a System 8 and get those same sounds with the ability to save all my patches and not have the limitations of the boutique modules. Aside from the JX-03 Since I own a real JX3P I've been seeing a lot of the benefits of the plug out synths as someone that likes to do sound design. I love the way the boutiques sound but listening to some of the work I've made I scratch my head trying to figure out just what in the heck kind of setting I had and recalling patches isn't exactly the easiest or funnest thing to do.
Tom_1970

Re: Should I sell my boutiques and get a System 8?

Post by Tom_1970 »

I had no need to sell my JP-08 when I bought my System-8, but the truth is that I hardly use the JP-08 nowadays.

I still like the looks of the Boutiques, but I think the System-8 is more than capable to replace the first Boutiques.
I love my D-05 and TB-03, but my 'greed' for the JU-06 and JX-03 faded after I purchased the System-8.
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

I pretty much have all of them except for the JU-06, TB09 & TB03 but using them I have to chain the JP08's and the JX03 with 4 notes is a bit limiting. They all sound wonderful though but functionally using them they're a pain to make and save patches on.
raymond

Post by raymond »

The System 8, while having full sized controls, does not faithfully layout all the hands on controls of the original instruments, whereas the Boutiques do. Some parameters require a tiny bit of menu diving on the System 8.

Other than that, the System 8 is the way to go. Especially for;
- polyphony (proper 8 voice polyphony, which cannot be achieved with chaining Boutiques)
- keyboard
- full sized controllers
- FX
- arpeggiator
- improved sound quality - less aliasing at the high end

And the System 8 engine is sublime, especially with the 1.3 OS release.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

You can't take the System 8 on holiday and jam on the balcony.
I can with my D-05 and my K25 M
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

I'd say if you're going to sell them for a System-8, it's a smart move. The only reason I'd personally keep them would be if I was a collector, which I'm not (trying not to be anyways). As others have said, the System-8 engine is absolutely packed with options and is very powerful. The plug-outs are impressive. on top of it, all your plug-outs will now have twice the polyphony.

I was considering buying two of the boutiques that are now plug-outs, and I'm glad I waited. I do, however, plan on getting a D-05 and using the System-8 as a keyboard. I'm also curious about the SE-02. I'm a little scared by the sheer amount of knobs packed in a small space, and by the crazy amount of wobble I've seen in a couple reviews.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Selling my D-05 with the mini keyboard. Pm me if interested. It's mint.
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

Runningman, I'm sorry I haven't replied much sooner. Something turns me off about how the D-05 is powered (it's USB, correct?), and I've been putting money towards other bills and gear at this point. Thanks for offering.

Just curious - why are you selling?
Stormchild

Post by Stormchild »

I can’t say whether you should sell your boutiques; as others have pointed out, they do have their advantages too. But I can say the System-8 is a way better experience. Apart from the obvious things like the native synth engine (which is fantastic) and supporting 8 voices, the layout is very similar to the Jupiter-8, and the LEDs light up to make it very clear which controls can be used with each of the plugouts. IMO having large, high quality controls comfortably spaced apart more than makes up for the difference in appearance or layout.

If you can afford to buy a System-8 without selling the boutiques, you have the best of both worlds. But if I had to choose, the System-8 would win by a mile. Most of the other boutiques are great (I have four of them), but the 4-voice limit in the original three is a deal breaker for me.
Stormchild

Post by Stormchild »

thedecider wrote:The only reason I'd personally keep them would be if I was a collector, which I'm not (trying not to be anyways).
Damn Pokémon synths. Gotta catch em all! They’re so cute it makes me want all of them (even all three colors of the SH-01A), but I’ve managed to “only” buy four, so far (SH-01A, TB-03, TR-08, TR-09). I keep looking at the SE-02 and D-05, but I think I’m good, at least for now.