JD-XA VS System 8

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
ahgi

JD-XA VS System 8

Post by ahgi »

hi

what is the difference between those two keyboard?
cello

Re: JD-XA VS System 8

Post by cello »

Huge differences - two entirely different keyboards!

XA - 4 analogue voices and PCM digital waveforms combined in one, has aftertouch

S-8 - Has it's own engine, can add other engines (Jupiter 8, Juno 106 plus all the System-1 plugouts), the engines can be layered (lower and upper), no aftertouch, no analogue, has 8 voices, more variations of sound waves, more sequencer options

In many ways, they are a perfect pairing in a studio as they are so totally different

PS - I'm sure there are more difference but those are the immediate ones that come to mind!
JDBoy

Post by JDBoy »

Simple:

JD-XA is an amazing synth.

System 8 is merely an OK one.

:)
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

System 8 is an ACB emulator for iconic polysynths.

JD-XA is also covered in knobs and looks similar but its 4 voice DCO analog, 32 voice Supernatural synth and ext gear control surface. You have to use it to appreciate the great interface for each purpose. It can replace a lot of single purpose gear.

In comparison the S8 is less and trades on the vintage synth sounds.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

One thing I noticed is that all of our complaints about the sequencer in the JDXA were fixed in the System 8?
I think Roland listened to us and fixed it in the next synth and it's sequencer, does that mean that Roland has abandoned the JDXA for the new synth? I hope that Roland still is committed to the JDXA to bring it's sequencer up to the level of the System 8?..........come on Roland don't leave the JDXA in the past so soon?????? Just me questioning? Roland you have a history of that in the past (not good, really not good) that's not a good business model. I mean really that is not a good business model! Please upgrade the limited sequencer on the JDXA.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

These kinds of pairings have been released by Roland for decades now.

Back in 1997, it was the XP-80, and the JP-8000. One was the digital workstation, the other was the analog-modelled performance synth.

Today, it's JD-XA taking the XP-80's place, and System-8 taking the JP-8000's place. Not exact replicas of either of the previous two, but with the same logic: the JD-XA is the more varied instrument, which supplies a greater number of voices to work with and layer as a sound design approach. The System-8 relies less on layering and more on depth in the modelling of each individual voice, for a sound that is distinctive and dependent more upon the quality of said individual voice.

That's my take, anyways, and makes sense: you don't get a Minimoog D to do what you want or need a Montage to do, and you don't rely upon a Montage to get the kind of instrumental tonality and performance control you'd need a Minimoog D for, to use a rough analogy.

Each serves its purpose. As cello says, the JD-XA and System-8 are quite complementary that way, once you understand the differences.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

They are two excellent synthesizers that complement each other beautifully. The JD-XA is an interesting concept, unfortunately let down by a somewhat cumbersome interface and MIDI implementation. Soundwise it is a monster, a beautiful 4 voice analog synth that can be extended with the built-in digital sample-based unit to overcome most of the sonic weaknesses and the polyphonic limitations of the analog circuitry.

The System-8 is hands down the best software based synthesizer ever. ACB 2 is simply amazing - at the time of this writing, no other VSTi comes even remotely close, not even Diva, which for me used to be the pinnacle of analog emulation. There is really no way to tell that the System-8 is not fully analog, not even in isolation. I have been using more synthesizers than I can recall, both analog, digital and software based ones, but I am completely blown away by the sheer detail and depth of the audio rendering. I initially thought that the S-8 was pretty expensive, but it sure is worth every dollar.

/// Tom
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

I have an FA-06 and happy with it.

Additionally, i just had a JD-XA but with defect then asked for replacement two days ago.

Replacement (2nd) JD-XA came with again the same defect (sound pop/crackle) sh.t.

3rd time, i asked for a "working" one (3rd replacement) and it is told to me that it will come from US on May 15,2017 earliest. Then disappointed and had to ask for my money back.

But, an idea appeared in my mind to buy a System-8 instead of the JD-XA.

What would you do if you had such a situation?

Your reply is highly be appreciated. I will continue accordingly.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

o.durmusoglu wrote:
But, an idea appeared in my mind to buy a System-8 instead of the JD-XA.

What would you do if you had such a situation?

Your reply is highly be appreciated. I will continue accordingly.
I have the JD XA and I want the System 8 too. My JD XA had to be replaced, due to pops etc and the second is fine.

Now, to answer your question, in a roundabout way........If I had bought the System 8 first, would I then go on to buy the XA. Maybe not, because the System 8 is so good, but I would have missed out on a classic. As I and others have said, the JDXA is unique, an Enigma. It's so badly designed and confusing and yet, it's brilliant. I cannot see a day when I would sell it and if they update it and improve a few bits then bingo.
The System 8 is the JDXA for dummies (thats not being rude). You switch it on, no real menu diving, it's an abacus of a keyboard and I love the design but I could imagine trading it in eventually. It's just a synth but a vey very good one.

So it depends on your needs. If you buy a System 8 you will immediately love it and have the nagging doubt about the XA, if you buy the XA, you will learn to love it and have the nagging doubt about the S8.

That is why I am saving up for the System 8 so I can love both and probably never sell either.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Well I am now the proud owner of both.
Keeping it brief, I think they are both unique and brilliant.

The System 8 sounds big, I was suprised how big. It doesnt hide any secrets like the JDXA. It's all before you. Despite the many knobs and sliders, it feels compact and despite it's light weight, it feels solid and every knob, button and slider feels well made.

Where the XA is deep, the S8 is bold, it's sound takes centre stage, where the XA is the support. It's quite a thing when the Retro synth sounds seem modern in quality and the digital XA, sounds more traditional.

Either way, they are both head scratchingly good and stand out from the crowd. When you add in the Xi, you have an excellent drum machine, the JDXA, a pad , creative machine and with the System 8 a solid 'acb analogue(sort of) retro monster'.

I find the System 8 to be precise. It delivers, as adverised. Crisp retro sounds that are usable.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Just a quickie.

The Jupiter 8 Strings patch........

On the System 8 they absolutely sound analogue. Whatever you read on review sites, I can assure you they do.

On the JD XA they are softer. It's lovely but absolutely digital.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

I sold my JD XA a few weeks ago. I don't miss it. I thought it was a keeper but I simply enjoy the System 8 so much more.
The JD XA is a magnificent instrument, it gives so much but it also takes so much, to the point of giving up.

The System 8 is, in my opinion, brilliant. It's precise and has clarity, visually and audibly.

The JDXA blows your socks off and then you can't find them when your feet get cold.

The System 8 is a steady solid peace of kit, which helps you get on with playing music and learning.

I'm an optimist. I think that Roland know that they have nailed this synth and there is plenty more to come.
There is so much potential and they are going to let it evolve.

Where the JDXA is a full blown red light nymphomaniac. The System 8 is a classy seductive green lit beauty.

(with the extra cash I bought a TR8, Blofeld Desktop and a EH 720 Looper)