Questions

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Happy

Questions

Post by Happy »

1/ What keyboard is used on the S8? Fatar ?
Was it used on any other Roland product ?
It looks very much the same as used on the D series 20 years ago.
How is it weighted? The D-50 was semi-weighted.

2/ Does the System 8 support after-touch ?

Even very much like this machine, think the S8/AIRA has some shortcomings/issues:

a/ No separate audio out for each part

b/ Not much CV I/O, compared to the System 1m.

c/ Probably proprietary patch formats and no Sysex, e.g Bin files like for the System 100 presets

d/ Can the the plug-outs bought for the System 1/1m be used on the S8 WITHOUT
additional charge ? (or buying them again ?)
The plug-out Q&A says maximum activation is 3 computers.
Does that also mean for 3 different AIRA products ?

e/ Not standard USB audio compliant, needs drivers.( The AIRA type of USB audio)
Happy

Re: Questions

Post by Happy »

Happy wrote:1/ What keyboard is used on the S8? Fatar ?
Was it used on any other Roland product ?
It looks very much the same as used on the D series 20 years ago.
How is it weighted? The D-50 was semi-weighted.

2/ Does the System 8 support after-touch ?

Even very much like this machine, think the S8/AIRA has some shortcomings/issues:

a/ No separate audio out for each part

b/ Not much CV I/O, compared to the System 1m.

c/ Probably proprietary patch formats and no Sysex, e.g Bin files like for the System 100 presets

d/ Can the the plug-outs bought for the System 1/1m be used on the S8 WITHOUT
additional charge ? (or buying them again ?)
The plug-out Q&A says maximum activation is 3 computers.
Does that also mean for 3 different AIRA products ?

e/ Not standard USB audio compliant, needs drivers.( The AIRA type of USB audio)
==================
Answering my own Q's

1a. Said to be same as the JD/XA

1b. No

2c. Correct guess, See the MIDI impl. details. only a few more CC compared to the S1. nothing else. No sysex, vocoder or sequencer related etc.. a very basic MIDI implementation.

2d. It seems from a demo from Musotalk, the person loaded a plug-out from the Sys1 he already owned.
So that would save re-investment. but maybe someone else can confirm this again
if indeed the plug-out is limited to 3 devices.. does that mean you can share an install with you buddy ?

2e. Right, Don't you just love drivers and proprietary stuff ? It will be broken in some OS, sooner or later.
e.g in Windows 10's 2021 anniversary edition.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

Correction, the System-8 does not support the plugouts made for System-1. Roland states in the online manual that they intend to make it possible to load the old plugouts into System-8 but they are not giving any dates when this might be expected. Currently we are limited to the built-in System-8 engine plus the Jupiter-8 engine.

/// Tom
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

mimoid wrote:Correction, the System-8 does not support the plugouts made for System-1. Roland states in the online manual that they intend to make it possible to load the old plugouts into System-8 but they are not giving any dates when this might be expected. Currently we are limited to the built-in System-8 engine plus the Jupiter-8 engine.

/// Tom

Edit: The SH-101 is now available and verified to be functioning with System-8. I assume that the rest of the previous plugouts will come soon enough. Now I am waiting for the Juno-106! :-)

/// Tom