Goodbye sysex

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Happy

Goodbye sysex

Post by Happy »

Seems with Aira Roland has chosen to abandon Sysex.
Sysex way of patch save and loading is not listed in the just published implementation guide.
It's just going to be a bunch of CC's then.
Seems sequencer data/patterns etc.. can't be loaded/saved either and no NRPN CC to extend the programmability. Other manufactures do hold on to NRPN's & Sysex fortunately.
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... _e01_W.pdf
ranzee

Re: Goodbye sysex

Post by ranzee »

Sorry to re-ignite an old post - but this one has been left hanging, and it needs discussion.

I haven't had a chance to checkout the System-8 MIDI implementation until now. I also noticed your post via a Google search. I find it strange how "light" this document is. It is really basic. It is also a shame they haven't included their normal SYSEX section. If you compare this to the Roland JD-XI implementation manual is much more sophisticated and thorough. Strange considering the price differences.
Happy

Post by Happy »

Thanks for renewing this thread. I believe the JD-XA was developed by a different Roland organization than the Aira group. That other group's products seems to support SYSEX and provide quality documents. That is in stark contrast to the Aira products.

The System 8 VST provides a librarian/editor can transfer one patch from and to the S8, ut it's Roland cloud is subscription based. Not really favorable.

Comparing the S8 with an REV2 (8 voice, same price) the S8 still seems overpriced, specially if u consider Roland has huge economies of scale. I understand some may argue sound is 'priceless; :-)

- Keybed quality (compared to REV2 semi weighted excellent feel)
if it would be equal or better to the key-bed of a D-10, I would accept it, but not for this price.
Roland also took out the aftertouch out of it compared to the JD-XA
Nord has the same or worse crappy keybeds on their Lead synths.
- No SYSEX/NRPN to load/save individual patches/programs and sequencer patterns
- No JX plugout (a mistaken expectation)
- No 4 voice poly SH-101 plugout (while Boutique SH-101 has)
- Adding all plugouts adds up a lot to the total cost.
- Latest Firmware update took 14 months. (S8 on the way out ?)
- Plastic case (compare that to the sturdy REV2)
- External power supply
- Only 64 patch locations (per plugin/out) and then backup/restore from SD/USB needed.
-
Editor/Librarian via Subscription based Roland Cloud System 8 plugin only
- Bi-Timbral sounds cannot be played independently
(REV2 is two 8 voice independent poly synth in one)
- Just one LFO (Rev2 has 4 for each layer)

I do not have hopes for the S8 SYSEX support. After 1.5+ years probably better to wait for something new. Hopefully we see Roland combining the Boutiques and Cloud plug-out VA's into one hardware rack-able box (like an Integra 8 :-)) or a System16 with the mentioned features added.

A concern is that Aira products do not have much of an evolution/update/grade path. Released with big fanfare creating huge expectation then not using the hardware to it's full potential and then slowly let them die. A bit scary this abandon-ware policy. The S8 is not alone in this. Sorry for the bit negative rant.

Understand many like the S8 a lot. if it would be under $1K and nothing new will be released anymore which can load the plug-outs, then might consider it. YMMV.
ranzee

Post by ranzee »

They really should have made the System-8 and JD-XA combined monster synth. adding all those things you listed - it would be a great flagship for them. I'm sure there's other things people would like too - but lets not get ahead of ourselves ... it's Roland, remember ...
Bren3000

Post by Bren3000 »

Hi all,

a year and a half ago had the same question:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=53294

Yesterday I have put my System 8 for sale. My workflow is SysEx and just can'tt work the other way since I am automatik a lot and need this fubction even if it's glitchy.
SysEx is just the best thing ever! Will replace System 8 t something else from Roland and strangely I did not look into this mode when buying it since I bought it when onli 1.10 versio was available.

Cheers!
Nig

Post by Nig »

A possible development on this in that Roland have added a 'Send to System-8' option on the Aira microsite which uses Sysex to transfer single patches thru' web-midi. So it appears the S8 does support sysex after all!

No further docs for it tho, and MIDI chart still shows it's not supported.
Happy

Post by Happy »

Looks like this is limited to send/receive the current patch ("Edit buffer") not to/from a specific preset number.