Juno 106 plugout missing on my System 8 - V1.02

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
australia

Juno 106 plugout missing on my System 8 - V1.02

Post by australia »

All the online demos and launch material / videos referenced the inclusion of the Juno 106 plugout, but mine says "coming soon" when location three button is pressed.

Roland Australia say it has not been released yet, pending completion by software engineers... true??? or is this specific to Australian hardware???

Thanks in advance

Greg :)
p.s. updated to latest firmware 1.02
richardbates1

Re: Juno 106 plugout missing on my System 8 - V1.02

Post by richardbates1 »

australia wrote:All the online demos and launch material / videos referenced the inclusion of the Juno 106 plugout, but mine says "coming soon" when location three button is pressed.

Roland Australia say it has not been released yet, pending completion by software engineers... true??? or is this specific to Australian hardware???

Thanks in advance

Greg :)
p.s. updated to latest firmware 1.02
The Juno 106 will not be available until the end of this year or the beginning of 2017.
It will be a free upgrade.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

^ Correct. From the Roland S8 Plug-Out documentation:
About the MODEL [PLUG-OUT 1]–[PLUG-OUT 3] Buttons

When the unit is shipped from the factory, the “Jupiter-8” (*1) software synthesizer is installed in the [PLUG-OUT 1].

A planned future free upgrade will install the “JUNO-106” (*2) software synthesizer in the [PLUG-OUT 2] button.
australia

Post by australia »

thanks both

do u think the roland sponsored video demos demonstrating both plugouts infer a short lead time?
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

I'm not sure I've seen them actually demonstrating the 106 plug-out yet, just talking about it. Though it didn't help that in some of them, the rep would keep saying that the S8 would ship with both. Some internal miscommunication, I think. Or they just didn't want to risk having the demo videos "dated", when they clearly intend to ship with both in the near future. If that's the case, I don't think we'll have to wait long past the turn of the year for the firmware update and the 106.
cello

Post by cello »

The information I have is that the 106 (via an OS update) will come to S-8 owners mid Q1 2017.

Suggests to me it's already in there but not finished and the OS update will complete it and make it available.

There have been no demos of the 106 on the S-8 to date.
Jay P80

Post by Jay P80 »

This is a bit of a deal breaker for me at the moment,I had preordered a System 8 but have since cancelled my order,I don't understand why Roland promised the Software for it but it's not finished even in a beta stage to ship with the Hardware at the moment????I love the JP8 and system 8 engine and was hopefully going to retire my ageing 106 with this if it's as promising as it appears.

I can understand releasing the System 8 hardware and then addressing Operating issues or Bugs down the line as user feedback comes in,and then adding features or Fixes with future upgrades but why advertise the fact it has a J106 Second Plug built in but not actually include it even in a beta early form???

After the Fantom G fiasco(will never buy a Roland Workstation again) and Given Roland's Poor history for supporting products beyond a few bug fixes,they seem to just leave things hanging and then drop them so I will hold off until the Juno 106 Plug in actually makes an appearance before I part with my cash for the System 8 now.

if its not until early next year for the actual promise of a 106 Engine,given that Namm 2017 is only round the corner I can see the Gloss of this product wearing thin for many before this 106 plug in sees light of day,(if it does finally come to fruition)I would have thought Namm would at least be a deadline for them to get their arse into motion to finish it.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

OMG enough with the whining! Ed Diaz said long ago before this product shipped that the J106 plugout would be released at a later date. Pay better attention and save yourself, and everyone else, your suffering.
cello

Post by cello »

Agree with Devnor - this was made public very early on.

Also - if you press the Juno 106 plugout button the System-8 it says 'Coming Soon!' - so they're hardly going to build that into the System-8 if they weren't going to deliver it!
Jay P80

Post by Jay P80 »

cello wrote: if you press the Juno 106 plugout button the System-8 it says 'Coming Soon!' - so they're hardly going to build that into the System-8 if they weren't going to deliver it!

I recall a similar "promessa di marinaio" From Korg!

In the form of the Function button on the Oasys and dumping hardware after a few upgrades when it was marketed as open ended for future updates??

Maybe I should sell all my Rolands and kit myself out with Korg synths in protest at being led up the garden path over the S8,that seems the normal thing to do isn't it!

A fool and his money are soon parted...

Thankfully I'm a little more educated to this type of marketing it's not whining it's airing on the side of caution until its there.

If you people see that as a whinge good luck to you and the rest of the Roland fanboys.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Jay P80 wrote:
cello wrote: if you press the Juno 106 plugout button the System-8 it says 'Coming Soon!' - so they're hardly going to build that into the System-8 if they weren't going to deliver it!

I recall a similar problem over at Korgs fan boy camp!???bullshit tactics like the Function button on the Korg Oasys or unsupported hardware when it was marketed as open ended for future updates??Maybe I should sell all my Rolands and kit myself with Korg synths in protest at being led up the garden path over a product,that seems the normal thing to do isn't it!

Quid Pro Quo!!!
Jay you got your panties in a bunch for no reason.
The 106 will come out in a few months, 2017 isn't that far away.
Patience is a good attribute in life, take it easy man, don't stress over this.
I have this synth and there is so much to experiment with and explore with the System8 itself or the Jupiter 8 plug-out that you can spend months just creating patches with those 2 synth engines, the Juno 106 will come as an upgrade fast enough.
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

Maybe I should sell all my Rolands and kit myself out with Korg synths in protest at being led up the garden path over the S8,that seems the normal thing to do isn't it!

The only thing that lead you up the garden path was your ignorance.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

And in the meantime you should be able to create a few pretty 106'esque sounds using the S-8 engine! To be honest, it is perfectly doable.

/// Tom