New Patches & Performances with ver 1.02

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
rsaintjohn

New Patches & Performances with ver 1.02

Post by rsaintjohn »

I was doing some housekeeping tonight, and saved all my custom patches and performances to the SD card. While experimenting these past few weeks, I'd made a number of changes to patches and System settings. Now that I was familiar with the synth, I wanted to start over from scratch and undo anything I might have changed by mistake. On the Menu I went into Utility, Factory Reset and chose ALL.

Much to my surprise, I must have activated something that came with the 1.02 update. When I first got the System-8, the "H" bank of Patches were mostly empty (both System-8 and Jupiter-8), and "E" through "H" Performance banks were empty. There was no change for me after installing 1.02, weeks ago. But now that I've done a Factory Reset, all the banks are now full of some great new patches and performances. And it sounds like many of the original ones have been tweaked to sound much better. Some locations of original patches have changed as well.

Fortunately, I had saved my custom work, so I haven't lost anything. But I wanted to make sure I alerted everyone to this before they got too far. Some (most?) of you may have seen it like this from the beginning. I'm still not sure why I didn't see them when I first did the 1.02 update, but my guess is that a factory reset of ALL, even after the system firmware update, was required.

I'm still going to have to do some new housekeeping, because now I have no blank spaces at all to save new work. I'll probably make a backup of everything as it is right now, then go through and weed out and move a lot of patches and performances to make room, then back that up as well. But if you didn't start with completely full banks, it's worth checking out the update for these new and tweaked presets.
cello

Re: New Patches & Performances with ver 1.02

Post by cello »

Thanks for the headsup :)

This works very similar to the latest OS update for the XA - a factory reset is required to make the new sounds available.

But is vital to save your own work first!
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

They did actually document this on the Support page, apparently, but I just missed it.

I can't understate what a big change it is. The patches and performances just sound so much better now, and they've added a number of sequence patterns as well. It sounds as if it has all been fine tuned for the final release product. I usually just shrug at presets from Roland and others. They often sound half-assed and sometimes they're not even good starting points. But at a first glance last night, they really knocked it out of the park with this one.
cello

Post by cello »

That's a great reaction to feel! I'm travelling in business just now but will do the update when I get back - although I've still to buy an SD card for backup purposes; guess I can get that at the airport!
Nig

Post by Nig »

Thanx for pointing this out as I hadn't noticed this either but I had a lot of grief installing the driver for the 8 as Windows woouldn't install it as it reckoned it wasn't digitally signed. I had to boot the PC using F8 and select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement before it would install!

Anyway, got all the new patches going now and, like you say, some really nice additions:-)

Thanx again.