System-8 Tone Data List (download)

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
rsaintjohn

System-8 Tone Data List (download)

Post by rsaintjohn »

ROLAND SYSTEM-8 -- TONE DATA REFERENCE LIST
System8-ToneData-1.02.zip
As of October 2016, system software version 1.02

List of all 128 patches and 64 performances on the System-8, indexed with banks, sequence info and additional notes. Includes PDF and Excel XLSX spreadsheet for customization.

(unofficial, created by myself in order to reorganize patches and make room in the banks for custom patches)

Nig

Re: System-8 Tone Data List (download)

Post by Nig »

Excellent, thank you:-) Must've taken a while to got thru' all that!
cello

Post by cello »

My thanks for doing this and then sharing it with us! - very useful document to have.

Are there any differences between 1.01 and 1.02 sounds? I mean have any earlier ones been dropped and replaced with something else.

I recall this happened with the Jupiter 80 between versions - so you have v1 and v2 with different sounds onboard.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

You're welcome! It was pretty tedious, but it'll be worth it for me in the end.
cello wrote:My thanks for doing this and then sharing it with us! - very useful document to have.

Are there any differences between 1.01 and 1.02 sounds? I mean have any earlier ones been dropped and replaced with something else.

I recall this happened with the Jupiter 80 between versions - so you have v1 and v2 with different sounds onboard.
I happened upon the "new tones" by mistake (just by doing the Factory Reset), and hadn't written anything down about the 1.01 patches or performances. Here's what I recall about 1.01:

System 8 - 57 patches, 7 empties
Jupiter-8 - 56 patches, 8 empties
Performances - 32 perfs, 32 empties

As far as I can recall in comparing the two, there wasn't anything lost. Patches were renamed, some moved around, and many enhanced with either sequences or better settings (especially effects) or both. And, of course, the number of Performances were doubled.

But I could be wrong. I think the thing for me was that the 1.01 patches and performances weren't so interesting at all. I think I even called them "bleh" in my initial review. If I'd rated them at the time on a scale of 1-5, it would have been mostly 2s, 3s and 4s. In my spreadsheet now, I have rated the 1.02s, and they're heavily 4s and 5s. All personal preference and feelings of usefulness for me later. The purpose is that I'll be moving anything less than a "4" to the SD card, to make room for my own stuff.

A friend elsewhere indicated to me that he thought the 1.01 versions seemed to be aimed toward loud and overdriven to make an impression on the showroom floor, and the 1.02 seemed more subtle and geared toward the actual customer making music. Makes sense to me.
mat6066

Post by mat6066 »

Hi,

I don't suppose you've updated this for the new firmware/plug outs? If not, I'll have a go.

Mat