Nig

SH-101 Plug Out

Post by Nig »

Looks like it's here:-)

Update history
[ Ver.1.06 ] NOV 2016

Available for SYSTEM-8 PLUG-OUT.

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 6fe8537eb/

There's also an update for the System-1 to support the update to the Plug-out.

ETA: Just looking at the readme for the 101 update and it looks like you can just select the System8 output on the Plug-in and just plug-out to the 8 once you've selected the plug-out button (1, 2 or 3) on the box itself. And the Librarian will work. OOK;-)
Nig

Re: SH-101 Plug Out

Post by Nig »

Mmm, that didn't go well. Crashes Maschine, and in Ableton, it just shows a blank white screen when loading the plugin:-(

This is 64-bit version BTW.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

Nig wrote:Looks like it's here:-)

Update history
[ Ver.1.06 ] NOV 2016

Available for SYSTEM-8 PLUG-OUT.
Great! Thanks for letting us know!

I managed to get the SH-101 loaded into slot 3 of my System-8 without hiccups. I am using Cubase 8.5 Pro by the way, and the 64-bit VST 2 version, so of you are using a different DAW, you will need to adapt these steps to your setup.

The plugout unfortunately cannot be loaded from an SD-card, it needs to be loaded into System-8 using the same method as into System-1, ie using a DAW. Follow the below steps to install the SH-101 to be used in both System-8 and directly in Cubase as a regular plugin instrument.

1) Download the VST and install it.
2) Start Cubase and make sure that the new VST instrument is recognized
3) Open Device Setup / MIDI Port Setup and make sure that the System-8 CTRL is set to "inactive" for both in and out. This will make them available for the VST
4) Create a new track for the SH-101 instrument
5) Open the SH-101 and select Settings
6) Select the System-8 CTRL for both MIDI in and MIDI out. If any of these say "disabled", it means that you have not done step 3 correctly!
7) Click on the PLUG-OUT button in the SH-101 and answer yes to the prompt if you want to load the plugout.
8) Enjoy the SH-101 in the System-8! Having access to the original, vintage (albeit slightly broken) SH-101, I can testify that they sound and behave IDENTICAL. The Plug-out version with less annoying background noise floor.

Now I am waiting for my SH-2 and the Juno-106! :-)

/// Tom
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Thanks for those details, mimoid. I never had the System-1 so never went through the procedure before, and really don't use a DAW all that much. I eventually managed to get through the whole thing with the Mac SH-101 plug-out and Reaper 32-bit. Roland's Plug-Out docs say that Ableton Live Lite is supported, so I tried it with that, but could never get the plug-out to appear (64-bit issue?).

With your steps giving me some other clues, I got it to all work in Reaper and I've now purchased and activated the SH-101 in plug-out bank 3 of my System-8. It sounds great.

ADDED: on the Mac version at least, it looks like the only plugins installed are a VST3 and a *.component file. Since Ableton doesn't yet support VST3, that's probably why I couldn't connect to it in Live Lite 9
Progman

Post by Progman »

mimoid wrote: The plugout unfortunately cannot be loaded from an SD-card, it needs to be loaded into System-8 using the same method as into System-1, ie using a DAW.
Bummer. I record on a Tascam Portastudio and don't even own a DAW at the moment.

Roland has Cubase 8 listed among compatible DAWs. Does anyone know if this applies to all versions, from LE all the way up to Pro? LE comes bundled for free with some products, like Zoom multieffects. Cubase 8 Elements is only $99, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to spring for that.
Nig

Post by Nig »

Good that you guys have got this running, I'm having a mare:-( Managed to at least stop it crashing Maschine, but when it loads it gives me a nice white screen - the same as I was getting in Ableton. Funny tho' if I move the mouse around it, I can see the values of the synth settings, and can load the librarian part. Weird.

Doing some searching in the Aira forum I found some mentions of Vsthost and the Steinberg developer kit, both of which I've tried and both give me the same blank screen!

To make matters worse, I've tried downgrading to my original 101 plugin and that now does the same, so something on my PC is screwed by the looks of it:-(

Anyway, if someone wants to install the plug-in without a daw, these should help:

VSThost - http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

Steinberg - http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html
Nig

Post by Nig »

Progman wrote:
mimoid wrote: The plugout unfortunately cannot be loaded from an SD-card, it needs to be loaded into System-8 using the same method as into System-1, ie using a DAW.
Bummer. I record on a Tascam Portastudio and don't even own a DAW at the moment.

Roland has Cubase 8 listed among compatible DAWs. Does anyone know if this applies to all versions, from LE all the way up to Pro? LE comes bundled for free with some products, like Zoom multieffects. Cubase 8 Elements is only $99, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to spring for that.
I found some mention of someone using the trial version of Cubase to install their plug-in, so that may work without shelling out, this maybe my next step anyway, tho' even with their dev kit, I'm getting nowhere:-(

TBH, I would've thought if LE supports plug-ins, it should work.
Nig

Post by Nig »

Sorted! Solution? Use another PC.

As I don't have any music-related software on my other PC, I installed the just 101 plugin and the System-8 driver (Still had the issue about not having a digitally signed certificate, so used the F8 trick to set windows to ignore this), then used the Steinberg SDK, which worked superbly. I was a bit concerned that Roland wouldn't allow me to activate the plugin as I've already done so on the other PC but this worked fine. Now onto putting all the paches on the 8 and backing them up to the SD card.

Incidentally, you don't need the whole SDK, just the VST3PluginTestHost part, (found in the vstsdk366_27_06_2016_build_61.zip\VST3 SDK\bin\ directory in the SDK ZIP) so you can just install that from the zip file, and job's a good'un.

And I must say, the 101 sounds superb on the 8, velocity makes a huge difference to the stock 101 sounds.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

rsaintjohn wrote:ADDED: on the Mac version at least, it looks like the only plugins installed are a VST3 and a *.component file. Since Ableton doesn't yet support VST3, that's probably why I couldn't connect to it in Live Lite 9
Got it to work just fine on Ableton Live 9 Lite. I had never gone into Preferences of Live to have it scan for plug-ins, or turn on AU. D'oh! Now the SH-101 shows up fine in plug-ins as an AU, and I can call it up and it's fully functional.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

By the way! I just remembered this:

If you do purchase it, the Content Store will say, "Thanks, here's your download", but that download looks to be version 1.04 of the SH-101. Just stick with the 1.06 trial version you already installed.
Progman

Post by Progman »

Nig wrote: I found some mention of someone using the trial version of Cubase to install their plug-in, so that may work without shelling out, this maybe my next step anyway, tho' even with their dev kit, I'm getting nowhere:-(

TBH, I would've thought if LE supports plug-ins, it should work.
I forgot about the trial versions. Thanks for the tip! That will work if I don't get hold of an LE version. In any case, it will probably be a little while before I pick up a System 8. Work is getting in the way of music recording. :(
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

So digging into this tonight, I've noticed a control missing on the System-8 when in SH-101 mode:

- Sub OSC Type: 1 OCT DOWN SQ, 2 OCT DOWN SQ, 2 OCT DOWN PULSE... there's no button for it

Going to file a bug report
CaesarMagnus

Post by CaesarMagnus »

Another Bug: Filter Envelope Knob is not lit but it functions in negative and positive and the display shows the setting.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

I have a feeling that they know there were bugs. Within the past hour, the SH-101 plug-out links and the pages for the trial versions have been pulled completely from the Roland support site (but not the Content Store).
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

It's extremely rare for Roland to release anything, hardware or software, that is buggy enough to be missing documented functionality.

I'm going to guess the "early release" of the SH-101 was a bit of an error, or maybe an unofficial "trial balloon" to get some field testing and discovery of issues (aka modern development practices, the kind used by open source development) promoted by a younger faction within the company?

In any event, to roll out the plugouts for S8, it's going to take lots of coordination of updating of a large variety of webpages, related accounting backends, ops and support systems, extensive testing on a wide variety of installations, resolution of issues with whether the plugout interfaces with both System-1 and System-8, marketing assessment of timing given the possibly still strong market for the System-1, which Roland is probably not going to want to undercut with S8, updating of all the documentation for the plugouts, and deployment of same on the support pages, etc. etc. etc.

All of the above guesses, but just a hint that online software rollout, even in a seemingly simple case like this, is a non-trivial challenge. :)

So, wait patiently, if you got to try out SH-101 on your S8, great, and let's all hope they release all the System-1 plugouts at the same time, with all related webpages updated with consistent info, any discounts made available, and all of it communicated effectively and systematically both to present System-8 owners and on the pages for all potential customers where System 8 and the plugouts are advertised.