SH-101 Plug Out

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
rsaintjohn

Re: SH-101 Plug Out

Post by rsaintjohn »

Just got a note back from Roland Support, acknowledging the issues, will forward to Japan. The plug-out wasn't even supposed to be released until November 11th, it seems.
Nig

Post by Nig »

Thanx for reporting that, I can confirm I'm seeing the same issues but I think there may be some problems with the delay as well as this sounds really weird. This maybe down to the fact that they're my own patches tho', which didn't work at all when I transferred them over and I had set the reverb level to max in order to hear anything. It seems to behave more like a volume control rather than an effect level. I'll try it with some of the factory patches tomorrow, in case it is my patches. Wouldn't surprise me TBH, but they do work in both the VST and the System-1 itself.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

It's back online again, but this time with references to System-8 deleted. I suppose it is not compatible. Actually it doesn't matter that much to me since I am mostly working in the studio and the plugout is working beautifully as a regular VSTi plug-in if you are using a DAW. And it frees up the System-8 for other duties... BTW, the System-8 is an excellent control surface for the AIRA soft-synths.

https://contentstore.roland.com/aira/de ... nthesizer/

/// Tom
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

The SH-101 PlugOut is up on the Roland US site now, officially, and in the content store.

Warning, though: it requires uninstalling the previous version and installing the new version, and then has to be re-activated.

And the bug they had at one point with the plugouts is back; it won't activate.

Wait until you see evidence the problem has been resolved before attempting to use it activated.
syver

Post by syver »

realtrance wrote:
And the bug they had at one point with the plugouts is back; it won't activate.
Hi,

Is that a Windows or Mac Issue ? Which version precisely ?

Thanks.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Windows, both 32 and 64 bit versions (VST2 and VST3). And it's identified as version 1.06.
syver

Post by syver »

No such problem on OSX El Capitan here.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Can you get any sound out of the VST on your Mac after activating it?
CaesarMagnus

Post by CaesarMagnus »

realtrance wrote:Can you get any sound out of the VST on your Mac after activating it?
One of the bugs is that the VOLUME in the lower left of the panel, just above the keyboard is always turned down all the way. This will also happen every time you change the patch. You have to manually turn it up.
Nig

Post by Nig »

Despite the reported bugs and the fact the activation doesn't work (do we Windows users all get the Expired message?), I'm really pleased with this update as it now shows up in Maschine and Ableton and I no longer have a blank, white screen:-)
syver

Post by syver »

realtrance wrote:Can you get any sound out of the VST on your Mac after activating it?
Yes.

Everything worked fine whether I used the plugin with the S8 in controller mode or the plug-out.

Only two grudges: Chord Memory has not been implemented in this version and there is no System-8 layout of the plugin's interface as there is for the System-1. Hopefully this can be improved in the future.
Nig

Post by Nig »

syver wrote: Only two grudges: Chord Memory has not been implemented in this version and there is no System-8 layout of the plugin's interface as there is for the System-1. Hopefully this can be improved in the future.
The layout of the System-1 and System-8 aren't all that different as far as the LFO, OSC1 and Mixer is concerned, so they should be pretty much the same. What is missing is a button to change the Sub-Oscillator type and this is now located in the Menu under the Patch settings. Also the Key Trig button has moved. I can't see there's much difference other than those two functions.

As far as the Chord Memory is concerned, why would you need this on a mono synth?
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Nig wrote:The layout of the System-1 and System-8 aren't all that different as far as the LFO, OSC1 and Mixer is concerned, so they should be pretty much the same. What is missing is a button to change the Sub-Oscillator type and this is now located in the Menu under the Patch settings.

What? Did they not fix this, and assign SUB OSC TYPE to some surface control? I'd reported that as a bug, and they told me that was one of the reasons for the delay in the re-release of the plug-out.

I'm definitely holding off on installing this new build. I have the old 1.06 purchased, authorized and working well-enough. I'm using it in three projects right now and don't want to lose it.
syver

Post by syver »

Nig wrote:
syver wrote:
As far as the Chord Memory is concerned, why would you need this on a mono synth?
Love using it with the Arp
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

syver wrote:Only two grudges: Chord Memory has not been implemented in this version and there is no System-8 layout of the plugin's interface as there is for the System-1. Hopefully this can be improved in the future.
Regarding Chord Memory, do you mean that it hasn't been implemented in the VST? Because I have no problem assigning Chord Memory notes to the SH-101 tones on the System-8 keyboard. It absolutely is a great feature to use with the Arp.