Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
runningman67

Re: SH-101 Plug Out

Post by runningman67 »

I dont use a DAW and never will, so thats counts me out for the System 8. :(
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

runningman67 wrote:I dont use a DAW and never will, so thats counts me out for the System 8. :(
For me the fact that it does not need a DAW it is one of its beauties! I hate VSTs!
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Just to confirm. You can do any updates and plug outs without using a DAW?
I understand a computer will be needed to load things etc via a memory stick but is that all?
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

The facts:

Right now, there is only one plug-out available for the System-8, the SH-101 plug-out. It has been updated to work with the System-8. It does require a DAW as the host for the plug-out, in order to load it into a Plug-Out slot on the System-8. The USB stick is not involved. This is essentially the same flow and procedure as it is with the System-1.

The Jupiter 8 plug-out is already loaded onto the System-8, and is part of the firmware. No loading required. The Juno 106 plug-out will be made available through an update to the firmware, said to be coming in early 2017. No DAW will be required.

No other details are available about other ported System-1 plug-outs (ProMars, SH-2, System-100, etc.), such as when they'll be available, or how they will be loaded.

I've written to Roland Support here in the US and asked for specifics and stated my preferences, but they just don't have any other info available at this time. My personal opinion is that they need to develop their own dedicated, non-DAW host application for PC/Mac that can essentially handle the interface between a computer and the System-8 loading, library management (for patches), and authorization. Use the USB stick for trading plug-outs in and out. Let firmware be firmware, and not a vehicle for delivering new System-8 plug-outs (Juno 106 and the future plug-outs). Leave the DAW requirements to use of System-1 VSTi's. Right now there are too many exceptions, and too much resulting confusion.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Thanks. They may need to have this sorted before the Deepmind 12 is readily available.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

runningman67 wrote:Thanks. They may need to have this sorted before the Deepmind 12 is readily available.
Well, that probably gives Roland a year or so, then... HA!
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

rsaintjohn wrote:
runningman67 wrote:Thanks. They may need to have this sorted before the Deepmind 12 is readily available.
Well, that probably gives Roland a year or so, then... HA!
Thats also a very good point.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

rsaintjohn wrote:The facts:

Right now, there is only one plug-out available for the System-8, the SH-101 plug-out. It has been updated to work with the System-8. It does require a DAW as the host for the plug-out, in order to load it into a Plug-Out slot on the System-8. The USB stick is not involved. This is essentially the same flow and procedure as it is with the System-1.

The Jupiter 8 plug-out is already loaded onto the System-8, and is part of the firmware. No loading required. The Juno 106 plug-out will be made available through an update to the firmware, said to be coming in early 2017. No DAW will be required.

No other details are available about other ported System-1 plug-outs (ProMars, SH-2, System-100, etc.), such as when they'll be available, or how they will be loaded.

I've written to Roland Support here in the US and asked for specifics and stated my preferences, but they just don't have any other info available at this time. My personal opinion is that they need to develop their own dedicated, non-DAW host application for PC/Mac that can essentially handle the interface between a computer and the System-8 loading, library management (for patches), and authorization. Use the USB stick for trading plug-outs in and out. Let firmware be firmware, and not a vehicle for delivering new System-8 plug-outs (Juno 106 and the future plug-outs). Leave the DAW requirements to use of System-1 VSTi's. Right now there are too many exceptions, and too much resulting confusion.
Completely agree with you. Also I think Roland seriously need to shape up their communication skills. There has been absolutely no information whatsoever about the new version of the SH-101 for the System-8. I wasn't even aware of it being online again, as it has been stealthily sneaked onto the web site without even a single row of communication. Why hide all signs of progress? I know many early buyers of the System-8 (including myself) are waiting eagerly for the early plug-outs (such as the SH-2) being made compatible with S-8, but we just cannot keep visiting the AIRA web site every week to see if anything new has happened.

/// Tom
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

I hope things become clearer. I love my JDXA Warts and all and like the idea of the System 8 but I don't want another 'work in progress' synth.
PeZiK

Post by PeZiK »

For those who don't use DAW or DAW that doesn't support VSTi - then I recomend this windows application, a VSTi host only http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm -it's free and works to send plug-outs to your System-1 or System-8. I can confirm that it works with System-8.

Install your plug-out, then -

1. Download SAVIhost (32 or 64 bit, whatever you're using)
2. Run savihost.exe
3. Locate your plugout .dll ( example : "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Roland\SH-101\SH-101(VST2 64bit).dll" )

That should be enough to get it running, If it's not running - then you've downloaded a wrong host, download another one and go to step 2.

Read the manual how to plug-out to your System-8

Happy Plug-Out!

P.