cello

Re: Hints & Tips

Post by cello »

OS 1.02 sound list- courtesy of rsaintjohn
rsaintjohn wrote:.
ROLAND SYSTEM-8 -- TONE DATA REFERENCE LIST
System8-ToneData-1.02.zip
As of October 2016, system software version 1.02

List of all 128 patches and 64 performances on the System-8, indexed with banks, sequence info and additional notes. Includes PDF and Excel XLSX spreadsheet for customization.

(unofficial, created by myself in order to reorganize patches and make room in the banks for custom patches)

cello

Post by cello »

The arpeggiator section with Ed Diaz -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2yI1NYEJqw
cello

Post by cello »

In this video, Ed Diaz demonstrates transposing a sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJQlowT86qo
cello

Post by cello »

Ed Diaz explores the basics of S-8 sound editing in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34w4Zfi1FB0
Nig

Post by Nig »

Must admit I like Ed's little vids and I always to forget to check for new ones, so thanx for posting them.
cello

Post by cello »

More editing preset info from Ed Diaz -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzvt2um ... e=youtu.be
cello

Post by cello »

Ed Diaz explores some more patch editing features in this video

https://youtu.be/xNm2AFzrHRg
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

system8SD.png
system8SD.png (317.77 KiB) Viewed 9478 times
If you use the SD card and can read it on your PC/Mac, each full system backup includes a text file that lists the synths that are loaded, their Patches, what Performances those Patches are used in, and the list of Performances with the Patches each uses.

Here's how I used this as a reference to decide which Patches and Performances to keep on the System-8, so that I could make room for my own. I printed it off (6 pages). I went through the S8, J8 and JU presets and put little Xs next to the ones I didn't like, or didn't think I would use. Then I pulled up and played the Performances referenced by those Patches, and decided if that would change my mind. In most cases, it didn't, and I put Xs next to those Performances. Then I went through the rest of the Performances, and added a few Xs. The Xs would be the files I would backup, then delete, to make space.

I used the export function to save out to SD the ones I was going to delete. This is where the feature of multiple patches per export file comes in really useful. So I exported files like "Delete S8", "Delete JP" and so on. That way if I change my mind or need a Patch later, I can retrieve it from one of these files using Import.

Once I was done, I INITd all those Patches and Performances. I moved items from the end into the gaps I'd created, careful to re-map the Performances if needed (because they reference locations more than actual patches). For the most part, that left me with the G and H banks totally empty for my own Patches and Performances from now on.

Once I was all done, I then created a "master" backup of this new layout to the SD card. Note, for me, this was just the S8+JP+JU, with plugout slot 3 empty. Now I can restore from this file anytime I want to, and load whatever I want at that moment into Slot 3. Anytime I create a new song or songs with custom Patches and Performances, I just save out the whole system as that song on the SD, in case I want to retrieve it in the future. These files take so little space on my 32GB SD card that it would take forever to fill it up.

By doing this, I never really have to worry about bank space while working on a piece. I have plenty of room for clones of source presets, or variations while experimenting. It takes an hour or so of time upfront to create the "ideal master" setup, but it's worth it. None of it will get in my way in the future, and I won't have to worry about future firmware updates resetting things all over again.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Thank you rsaintjohn
This is very valuable information, it should be made sticky!

Cheers,
PauloF

EDITED: Just realized this post is already on hints and tips ;-)
natethebold

Post by natethebold »

rsaintjohn:

Thanks for the helpful tips!

But I have a question about what you said (please see below):

"Once I was all done, I then created a "master" backup of this new layout to the SD card. Note, for me, this was just the S8+JP+JU, with plugout slot 3 empty. Now I can restore from this file anytime I want to, and load whatever I want at that moment into Slot 3."

Q: How exactly do we copy a patch from Plugout 1 (or 2) over to Plugout 3? My Plugout 3 is currently empty. Can you (or anybody else reading this) provide step-by-step instructions on how to do this, please? I'm getting confused.

Thank you,
Nate
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

natethebold wrote:Q: How exactly do we copy a patch from Plugout 1 (or 2) over to Plugout 3? My Plugout 3 is currently empty. Can you (or anybody else reading this) provide step-by-step instructions on how to do this, please? I'm getting confused.
I simply meant that I could load whatever other plug-out (SH101, SH2, System 100, etc.) that I wanted to Slot 3. There is no way for different plug-outs to share patches between each other. There is no way to have the same plug-out loaded into more than one slot at a time. There is no way to use a slot just to save patches.
natethebold

Post by natethebold »

rsaintjohn:

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm using your method for creating an unused G1-8 and H1-8 to become an available User Bank.

It's a hassle that we have to Export the Patches we want to delete, then Exchange them with the ones we want to keep, one a time. And then, we have to repeat this process all over again for: Sys8, Plug-out 1, Plug-out 2, and Plug-out 3.

Q: Would it be a good idea to Export the Patches one at a time a second time, after all the Exchanges have been complete, just to be sure we will be able to Import them back if needed later.

Q: Could Roland release a future software update to System-8 that allows us to move Patches between Plug-outs using the Exchange feature?

Just a thought! It would make it a lot easier to manage our data.

Cheers,
Nate
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Q: Would it be a good idea to Export the Patches one at a time a second time, after all the Exchanges have been complete, just to be sure we will be able to Import them back if needed later.
I did this early on, but I don't think I've once gone back to fetch one. And I don't really worry any longer about making some irrevocable decision about the preset patches/performances. It's so fast and easy to restore everything through a reset, in case I feel like I need to go back to Day One and hear or grab something from the presets as they shipped. It took me about 3 months to get to a point where I just wasn't worried about it any longer, and only export my own patches and performances. Having my default system setup with the blank banks helps, if for no other reason than making me keep all my current projects in the same place.
Q: Could Roland release a future software update to System-8 that allows us to move Patches between Plug-outs using the Exchange feature?
I don't think they'll introduce anything that enable slots to be treated as generic patch storage area, if that's what you mean. The architecture of the memory and the menus seems such that there is a firm wall between plug-out modes. This is to prevent a user, for example, from mistakenly trying to apply a Juno 106 patch to Jupiter 8 mode. The parameters between the two files are not compatible (try importing a 106 patch from the SD card while in Jupiter 8 mode to see what I mean; it won't allow it). I don't think they're likely to create anything that might create support problems.

I think they feel that as long as they've provided some method for external storage and exporting/importing (the SD card), they're unlikely to modify the architecture of the slots or menus. Especially when most users are asking them to provide a Windows/Mac software librarian to manage patches.