Audio over USB through alternate audio interface

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
mikejarod

Audio over USB through alternate audio interface

Post by mikejarod »

Using Ableton but I think this is universal.
When I set the System 8 as my primary audio interface I get 2 mono inputs that stream the System 8 audio over USB. That is great :)
But I want to use my other audio interface (RME HDSPe AIO) as my primary interface.
Does anyone know if its possible to get that System 8 USB audio while using an alternate audio interface?
mimoid

Re: Audio over USB through alternate audio interface

Post by mimoid »

I know that some people have successfully been using ASIO4ALL as an aggregate device, personally I never got it to work properly with Cubase and it nearly took all the fun out of music making. Finally I got fed up with it all, purchased a pair of Steinberg UR-824's with ADAT bridges, connected them to the computer using USB and connected all my synths to these interfaces using regular high quality analog audio cables. Not a cheap solution, but it just works beautifully and I can record on one, two or multiple tracks simultaneously, whatever I feel like.

FWIW, for most of the synths I am also using regular MIDI cables, as USB cables always need to be connected before firing up Cubase, or Cubase will simply not recognize them. USB cables also tend to create an annoying high-pitched background noise connected either directly to the computer or to a USB hub; powered or non-powered doesn't seem to matter. MIDI cables are deadly quiet!

/// Tom
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

mimoid wrote:I know that some people have successfully been using ASIO4ALL as an aggregate device, personally I never got it to work properly with Cubase and it nearly took all the fun out of music making. Finally I got fed up with it all, purchased a pair of Steinberg UR-824's with ADAT bridges, connected them to the computer using USB and connected all my synths to these interfaces using regular high quality analog audio cables. Not a cheap solution, but it just works beautifully and I can record on one, two or multiple tracks simultaneously, whatever I feel like.

FWIW, for most of the synths I am also using regular MIDI cables, as USB cables always need to be connected before firing up Cubase, or Cubase will simply not recognize them. USB cables also tend to create an annoying high-pitched background noise connected either directly to the computer or to a USB hub; powered or non-powered doesn't seem to matter. MIDI cables are deadly quiet!

/// Tom
I'm using the same approach :
- HQ Audio cables from all synths (including integra outs 3/4 5/6) into the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
- SPDIF from the Integra 7 channels 1/2
- MIDI cables and a UM-550 as MIDI Switch/Merge device and it is perfect MIDI control

I just use USB if absolutely necessary, but I had to do lots of tweaks as far as the GROUNDING is concerned
Besides that, this way my synths do not suffer from the USB outdated driver "syndrome" each time there is an Operating System upgrade ;-)

P.S: ref to ASIO4ALL, I used it when I had 3 different interfaces to allow all synths to be connected at the same time, but for me was not stable enough and highly dependent on the Windows.

The Aggregate Audio Device on MACs work much better, but there is nothing like a decent Audio interface that has enough inputs for all your synths
andrewsmithjp

Post by andrewsmithjp »

If you are facing Audio interface related problem on your computer, then you can download USB PnP Sound Device Driver to solve your problem easily.