Something's coming...

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Happy

Re: Something's coming...

Post by Happy »

How do you save patches on the System 8 ? Can it dump all the CC's over MIDI ? Could not find anything else in the manual than saving the whole status to SD.

Roland should do a decent job to implement Sysex (on S8 and S1) to download/upload individual patches (and perhaps the sequencer pattern) over MIDI interaction.

Roland has provided excellent Sysex support on products in the past, but with System 1 it's gone off the cliff with custom file formats and basic CC. Or perhaps the S8 is capable,but the spec has but is not made public (like on the Boutiques) ?.

This a bit holding me back to get the S8.(The other thing that will lever happen is perhaps after-touch)

P.S Can the monophonic 101/SH-2/Promars plug-outs be played multi-timbrally ?
dcullina

Post by dcullina »

I second the frustration with lack of sysex on the Aira range. Badly needed, especially with such limited memory. Missing sysex is the single biggest issue I have with Aira stuff. Otherwise it's wonderful for me.
Nig

Post by Nig »

I've lost count of the different key combinations I've tried to get this out of the System-8, so if you ever find out let us know;-)

As regards saving the patches, the SD card is the way to go. You can save individual patches, groups of patches and whole banks to it, but reload them individually if required. So altho' you have 64 patches per synth actually on the Sys-8 you can have many more saved on the SD card. I actually think it works very well.

Having said that, yes, being able to use sysex WBN.