Aftertouch

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Locksley

Aftertouch

Post by Locksley »

I'm a bit suprised it does not respond in any way to Aftertouch (chanel nor poly).
Hope this will be updated with firmware in some way.

Also hoping Roland will keep on pushing, as this is there ACB flagship, for a couple of years; if it really has as much DSP power left untaped as some representives have claimed I can see alot of great stuff released for this platform. More filters, more cross evolution towards modern capabilities with the plug-outs (side-band filters aplied to the Jp8 and Juno plugs and so on). Deeper FX section; I'm not that impressed but I'd rahter they spend the CPU cycles on getting a good analog sound than beefing up the FX sections, I can do that exterior.

Wish for a CS80 clone! (Yeah yeah, Yamaha will never give Roland the rights of that, never mind the price).
But entierly new synth engines based on the ACB would be very attractive too.

Look at the variation knobs with the suporting cathode display; right now it is variation 1 or 2, but it could include more variations - especially if going outside Plug-out clone parameters!

I was really looking forward to having some System-8 power to the Plug-outs, but right now it is only layering. An update to expand that would be really nice :)

Cheers!
zombietactics

Re: Aftertouch

Post by zombietactics »

There is no reason why Roland can't simply use creative names for ACB models of other brands. Moog models could become "LadderSynth" or "MG" ... Oberheim could me "OB" or "2POLE", Korg MS20 could be "SquelchBox", etc.
Locksley

Post by Locksley »

"SquelchBox".... yeah, that will be a hit :D
About MS20, so I got Softube Modular with Korgasmicon that emulates the MS20 filter on steriods, guess I will use that for the time being.
And on the subject, Softube Modular eats CPU cycles for breakfast; glad I got the hardware in System-8 to take care of that for JP8 and Juno (my poor CPU!).

Cheers!
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I doubt the main processor in the System 8 is as "Powerful" has Roland claim at all, I know they use this as an excuse as to why the JP8 and Juno 106 plug outs are not available as plugins on computers because of that and they have you believe the processing power of the system 8 is far superior to say a 12 core I7 Processor and 32gb RAM system. I doubt it, otherwise we would have seen more patch memory because the processor would have been able to manage more memory addresses from bigger memory modules for a start. I hope they do allow you to combine filters and patches from the various plugouts together, at the moment the system 8 synth engine to me isn't flexible enough it just sounds flat. Out of all the engines the Juno 106 sounds the warmest and fattest. I want to see a librarian appear though soon has possible to manage internal storage and patches.

With regards to modelling other synths why not? They've modelled other manufacturers filters in the Jupiter 80, 50 and Integra SNS engines. Why not model a synth and like someone else said rename it.