Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression MIDI standard

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Locksley

Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression MIDI standard

Post by Locksley »

MPU: Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression MIDI standard

Lets go all out in starting new threads!
So what can System-8 offer in MPU standard? It already lacks in poly-aftertouch, but lets hope that will be remidied in a an update.

For those who wonder about MPU:https://roli.com/article/mpe-in-emusician

Just think about it! Being able to control what seems to be a genuine analog synth with MPU midi standard, slide and glide and poly-aftertouch with release-velocity; such control over an analog instrument could bring an amazing expression to the musicians hands.

I own one of the MPU ready keyboards and I'm always looking for 'ware to make use of that expression in my music production. There is quite a few, Omnisphere, Softube modular and Equator to name a some, that take this advantage but sofar I have not thought of any hardware nor any analoge stuff to do so. Lets push the Roland System-8 to the next level!

What are your thoughts on this new standard, should Roland pay attention and join the bandwagon?

“I believe that expressive controllers are not going away, but, rather are the next big thing in electronic instruments,” says Roger Linn. “In my view, sometime in the future—20, 30, or 50 years from now—people will look back at the period between around 1970 and 2020 as the period of transition between the expressive acoustic instruments that came before, and the expressive electronic instruments that came after.”