Promars, SH-2 and System-100 now available

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
PeZiK

Re: Promars, SH-2 and System-100 now available

Post by PeZiK »

@rsaintjohn

Ahh man, I'm sorry - with second try I was wrong :(

But I think some dude from Roland told that this should be an option to load plug-outs form SD card (It was in a SonicState video). Lets hope and see.

Sorry again for this :(

P.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

PeZiK wrote:@rsaintjohn

Ahh man, I'm sorry - with second try I was wrong :(

But I think some dude from Roland told that this should be an option to load plug-outs form SD card (It was in a SonicState video). Lets hope and see.

Sorry again for this :(

P.
No apologies necessary, at all! I was planning on going down this path as soon as the new plug-outs became available, so your post didn't waste my time. I did that all on my own, ha! On the plus side, just going through the motions gave me a chance to really dig into the loading and the SD card procedures, and examining the contents of the SD card contents was enlightening. It didn't work out the way I thought it would, but I still learned some helpful tricks in the process. And I know Roland is seeing these efforts (over in the Facebook S8 Group), so hopefully word gets back to The Powers That Be that we'd really like a more efficient way to manage this.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

Roland really needs to make loading plug-outs from SD a thing. It's purely a software issue, and would expand the profit potential immensely.
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

skinmechanic wrote:It won't be the J3XP it will be the J8XP so we get the full 8 voice polyphony bigger brother of the JX series. I think we'll get the JP4 because it's different enough to do, but after that Roland wise what is there analogue to do? ACB is Analogue? Personally I would have liked a JD800 or D50 plugout
A couple of points.

The JX-8P is six voice like the 3P, but it sounds much better to me. I spent a lot of quality time with them.

The JD-800 plugout is called the JD-XA. ; )

I'd love to get hold of System-8 someday, and hope Roland has a nice list of plugout synths to install in them, though I'd be happy with the Jupiter-8 alone. Another thing I'm hoping, purists may gag, but that Roland makes the ProMars a PolyMars. That would mop the floor with the JP-4 and Juno 106. Maybe even the JP-8. I wonder if Diva or Zebra could manage this feat...

By the way, just came along to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. :D
Jupiter468

Post by Jupiter468 »

mimoid wrote:I just tested all the plug-outs and they worked beautifully. Thank you Roland! Now, may we hope for a JX-3P emulation, please????
I like all analog synthesizers from Roland. I wish JX-3P/8P, Juno-60/Alpha, Jupiter-4/6 plug-outs. Thanks.
holografique

Post by holografique »

zombietactics wrote:They've somewhat shot themselves in the foot by having only 1 ACB slot left for expansion.
I haven't tried it yet, but I thought I recall reading that you can load other plug-outs into ACB slots 1 & 2 where the JP-8 and 106 exists. They aren't permanently eliminated. They are "hardwired" (pre-loaded) into the firmware so that you can reload them back into the slots 1/2 as needed.
holografique

Post by holografique »

Jupiter468 wrote:
mimoid wrote:I just tested all the plug-outs and they worked beautifully. Thank you Roland! Now, may we hope for a JX-3P emulation, please????
I like all analog synthesizers from Roland. I wish JX-3P/8P, Juno-60/Alpha, Jupiter-4/6 plug-outs. Thanks.
I could see them releasing plug-outs for the following synths over time:

Jupiter-6
Jupiter-4
JX-3P (already have an AIRA based model in the Boutique, so should be a no-brainer)
JX-8P
Juno6/60
Alpha Juno1/2 (one of my favorites)
SH-5/7

That would pretty much cover the history of the classic Roland 1/2 OSC synths from the 70's/80's era. Anything beyond that would start to fall too far outside of the 1-3 OSC / VCF / VCA / 2x ENV / 1-2 LFO architecture that was fairly common across these synths, thus becoming too difficult (and complex) to offer easy control access via the System-8 control panel layout.

Others like the VP330 (VP-3) and RS-505 would be really nice additions. Be interesting to see how they create the control layout.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

holografique wrote:
zombietactics wrote:They've somewhat shot themselves in the foot by having only 1 ACB slot left for expansion.
I haven't tried it yet, but I thought I recall reading that you can load other plug-outs into ACB slots 1 & 2 where the JP-8 and 106 exists. They aren't permanently eliminated. They are "hardwired" (pre-loaded) into the firmware so that you can reload them back into the slots 1/2 as needed.
Yes, this is true. Just finished a week with the ProMars, System-100 and SH-2 loaded in those slots. Once I was done "auditioning", I just used the "Plug-out Remove" command in Utility. In Slots 1 and 2, the JP8 and the 106 reload themselves with their patches automatically. No need to do a factory restore, connect to a PC, nothing. Easy and quick. When performed on Slot 3, the slot becomes empty.
holografique

Post by holografique »

^ Nice. Glad to see this confirmed working.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

System 100 plug-out on the System 8... patch routing in the "Patch Edit" menu!

QmusicRAZZ

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

I think a Jupiter 6 and JX3P would be well received. A JX8P would be cool for it would be a first.
XpanderDude

Post by XpanderDude »

rsaintjohn wrote:System 100 plug-out on the System 8... patch routing in the "Patch Edit" menu!

Whaaaat? You can "patch" without using the software? Can you tell me a little more how to assign source/destination modulations?
Manic

Post by Manic »

I'm also very curious about the mod matrix of the System-100 plug-out in the S-8.

Also: can you switch between LFO 1 and 2 with the variation knob?
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Everything that you see here can be routed through the menu when the System 100 plug-out is loaded.

Manic wrote:Also: can you switch between LFO 1 and 2 with the variation knob?
No, that would have been clever and useful, but the Variation knob is not active in System 100 mode. It's all in the menu.