Update issue?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Quickdraw

Update issue?

Post by Quickdraw »

Has anyone else note this change since the latest update:
After making some edits in manual -it doesn't matter what really, to any OSC/ filter/ or amp; that while making any changes on the fly will now cause the system to drop out momentarily while making any other tweaks? It seams that the only controls not affected are the Cutoff and Reso.
I am considering attempting a re-install of 1.11

Anyone?
rsaintjohn

Re: Update issue?

Post by rsaintjohn »

Just checked, not having any problem like that. Try a factory reset first. That's usually just as effective and quicker than walking through the whole firmware update procedure.
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

Good call, That seemed to do the trick rsaintjohn!
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I had a problem with the cutoff filter settings for patches in memory going wide open after I updated, did a factory reset and that fixed the problem. There seems to be similar problem complaints from other users on the System8 Facebook page.
holografique

Post by holografique »

Same here. Was having the same issue reported by the OP, and a full system reset (including Sys-8 and all Plug-out slots) fixed the problem.

I also had the "filter wide open" problem and was also fixed by a system reset.

From what I'm seeing, the problems seems to crop up after communicating with a PC via the USB connection. Perhaps some type of validation/buffer clearing routine that's missing when it's done communicating with a PC and leaves the OS in a "dirty" state.
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

It's good to know I'm not the only one. It does seem that if I'm doing a lot of manual editing and bouncing all over the controls in manual.. the issue creeps back in until I choose a new preset and start all over... resource allocation and full buffers could definitely be an issue.
holografique

Post by holografique »

^ yup, that sounds more like it. Should be an easy fix for them. Just better handling of memory / buffer allocation.
holografique

Post by holografique »

Ok, I think I nailed it. And it looks more like a flat out bug.

If you have a patch (any patch) in "mono" voice mode, and you hold down a key and then play another key (lowest priority), that note will get cut off immediately if you start changing a parameter. Doesn't matter which parameter, just anything.

Only seems to do this in monophonic mode. Reproducible every time.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

holografique wrote:Ok, I think I nailed it. And it looks more like a flat out bug.

If you have a patch (any patch) in "mono" voice mode, and you hold down a key and then play another key (lowest priority), that note will get cut off immediately if you start changing a parameter. Doesn't matter which parameter, just anything.

Strangely, only in the System 8 synth mode. Can reproduce it there, but not in the Jupiter or System 100 plug-outs.
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

holografique wrote:Ok, I think I nailed it. And it looks more like a flat out bug.

You nailed it! I just wasn't smart enough to put it together Lol! That definitely explains the cut out, and most if not all my manual tweaking has been in S8 mode. I definitely hope some Roland software engineers are paying attention here.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

I filed it as a bug with Roland Support. Although some Roland employees may come to this forum, it's not an effective or quick way of getting it into their support database and forwarded back to Japan.
holografique

Post by holografique »

^ Thanks!
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Reply from Support: "This is something we are aware of and the engineers are working on a fix."
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

After doing a factory re-set it fixed the wide open filter problem.......now it is back again. (It seems that this is going to be a reoccuring issue) When I select JP8 or the 106 where the saved presets had the filter at lower position now the filter is wide open again. This is frustrating and makes it feel like the System8 is flawed or at least the VS 1.11 is flawed with bugs.....frustrating indeed, now i have to do another factory re-set and once again import all my patches again!
Arrgghh! Roland needs to fix this fast.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

To be clear, the bug I filed -- and that Roland is aware of -- is the issue from the OP: System-8 mode, patch in mono, hold down a key, play another key, that note will get cut off immediately if you start changing a parameter.

I don't think it has any relation to your defect, Richard. If Roland is to fix it, you need to report it and make sure they're aware of it. I'm still waiting for my similar bug (notes associated with Chord Memory of each patch) to reappear so that I can make note of what I was doing around the time it happened, and report that. That one, I think, is similar to your disappearing filter setting, and some of the others we have seen. But not similar to this particular bug, which they know about.