System-1 preset compatiblity

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
holografique

System-1 preset compatiblity

Post by holografique »

Any word yet on when they'll release compatibility to load System-1 presets? I have tons I created on my System-1 that I love and want to use on the System-8. So much so that I've actually started going through and manually recreating them on the System-8. I basically pull up my System-1 presets on the VST plugin so that I can see the actual parameter values. I then manually dial those into the System-8.

A very tedious process, but has given me spot on results for the handful that I've ported over this way. Would prefer them just releasing an update that supports loading the System-1 patch data.

Interestingly in doing this exercise I've found a handful of areas that don't exactly match 1-to-1 with the System-1. The mixer section, ENVs, and LFO rates are slightly off in parameter values between both engines. I've also noticed the effects are slightly different, whereby the System-1 delay sounds warmer and "older". But I was able to model these by adjusting the LF/HF dampening in the menu options to match the sound of the System-1 effects. The reverb is a bit tougher as there is no direct model that matches it and came close, but quite 100% spot on.

Another interesting area is using the new System-1 filter variation in the System-8. While it does sound exactly like the System-1 filter (and confirms that the System-1 and System-8 had different sounding filters), the cutoff values don't match exactly either. But the filter response and resonance definitely match in sound. The System-1 has a slightly grittier/ballsier response to it.