Why should I get a System 8

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
runningman67

Why should I get a System 8

Post by runningman67 »

I have an XA. MX1 and I am selling my Xi because I want the TR8 (see market place)
I think the cherry on top of the cake would be the System 8.

Am I right?
rsaintjohn

Re: Why should I get a System 8

Post by rsaintjohn »

If you already have the XA, then you'd be getting the System-8 for two reasons:

- Superior on-board sequencer. If this doesn't matter to you, there's probably not much in the System-8 that you couldn't come close to with the XA. The XA is the superior synth in terms of sounds, mod, etc.

- The System-8 plug-outs; the Jupiter 8 and Juno 106 sound, and ability to use the System-1 plug-outs (SH101, System 100, etc.). If this doesn't matter to you, there's probably little in the System 8 that will be of interest to you.

Not that I'm negative on the System 8. I had to choose between the two when I purchased in September, and I chose the System 8, in large part for the reasons above. I absolutely love it. There's hardly a day that's passed since I got it that I haven't played it. It's a wonderful synth, very immediate and accessible, not at all cryptic. I love the vintage sounds, and the System 8 native synth is no slouch either. It just can't do a lot of what the XA can do. But from what I've seen, it takes a lot of time and patience to master and decrypt the XA, and I'd rather just make music.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Thanks for the well thought out reply and you are right about the XA but it is a keeper for me because of its depth.
The pros for the System 8 seem to be the perfect partner for the XA.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I total agree with rsaintjohn

I went the System 8 because it hit the sounds I wanted - plugouts + Jupiter, 106, JP8000 2.0 :)
I love it!
QmusicRAZZ

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

If I had an XA I am not sure I would get the System 8. But I had to choose, I would choose the S8. I am falling in love with mine.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

QmusicRAZZ wrote:If I had an XA I am not sure I would get the System 8. But I had to choose, I would choose the S8. I am falling in love with mine.

It's a fair point, I have the XA and I play it (experience it) everyday. It's an enigma, never boring.
The System 8 is another classic but more accessible. Cleaner, clearer and brilliant. That's why I would also like one.

You would marry the System 8 but you'd have the XA as your mistress. Who wouldn't want that and fall in love with them both ?

Just got to figure out how to afford it.