Condition Feature?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
nickster

Condition Feature?

Post by nickster »

Anyone else notice that the Condition feature does not really do much having updated to version 1.11? I've tried the Unison trick and the octave testing to see if I can notice any differences but to my ears I can't really detect anything different from using this feature at +128,0 or -128. Do I need to save a patch in order to hear this or is this feature very slight by design. If that is the case I would prefer if Roland could adjust it to become much more noticeable. Just as the slope feature is with a DSI synth.
rsaintjohn

Re: Condition Feature?

Post by rsaintjohn »

Did you find that it was more obvious on 1.01 or 1.02? I've had all three firmware versions and agree that it is subtle. I can hear it (depending on the patch) most obviously using the octave trick, key hold, and spinning through the entire range. But that's just a curiosity; I don't play anything like that, and I don't really hear it when playing chords in a normal fashion. I do think that it has different sweet spots depending on the waveforms, and they don't necessarily show up at the extreme ranges. Can't give an accurate example right now, but I found that if I go through the range more slowly, I may find a crazy sweetspot at something like "-62" or "38", rather than -128 or 128.

I've sat down 3 or 4 times over the past few months to try to figure out the path to get the most impact, but always give up after 20 minutes to do something else. It's there, it works, no doubt. But it's so subtle as to not really make a difference IMO. I'd also like Roland to try to change its scale in a future update, or at least take some time to document its use.
nickster

Post by nickster »

It appears to be more noticeable one the S8 rather than the plug outs. So this may account for my missing this. I agree that an update to this to make the effect more noticeable plus better documentation would be a useful addition.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

This setting in the 106 emulation letterally destroy the sound at high levels...
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Redrain68 wrote:This setting in the 106 emulation letterally destroy the sound at high levels...
Definitely. Set it on +128 and you can hear crackling.
nickster

Post by nickster »

But it appears awol on the Jupiter 8 plug out. Which is what I was testing it on. Perhaps a future update may fix this.