Which new PLUG-OUTS would you like to see for the System-8?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Manic

Which new PLUG-OUTS would you like to see for the System-8?

Post by Manic »

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I recently bought a System-8 and - despite I kind of miss a second LFO, at least for the System-8 synth itself - I really love the sound and PLUG-OUT idea.

I wonder which PLUG-OUTS you guys would like to see released for the System-8 (hoping the Roland team is also reading these forums ;) )

I would love to see the following synths as a plug-out:

1) Jupiter 6 (especially because it has Unison detune, the JP8 doesn't)
2) Alpha Juno 1/2 (especially because it has the unique Saw PWM)
3) JP8000/JP8080 (why not hosting plug-out versions of virtual analogs? :D should be even easier to create)

I would also love to see extra features on the existing Plug-outs. So you can recreate any vintage sounds, but also explore new territories, because of extra features on the classic synth!

For example: imagine a Jupiter 8 with features like Unison Detune, Unison pan spread, multiple LFO's
Or a Juno-106 with 2 oscillators with sync, ring mod and cross mod!

Or imagine a possibility to blend/morph different Plug-outs with eachother: like some software where you can freely assign which oscillators you want, which filter etc. So you can 'build' a synth with the oscillators of the JP8, the filter of the Juno-106 etc. and then plug it out to the System-8!

I think at some point this is will be the future, but not on the System-8 I'm afraid... Maybe on the System-16 :)
Progman

Re: Which new PLUG-OUTS would you like to see for the System

Post by Progman »

Manic wrote: Or imagine a possibility to blend/morph different Plug-outs with each other: like some software where you can freely assign which oscillators you want, which filter etc. So you can 'build' a synth with the oscillators of the JP8, the filter of the Juno-106 etc. and then plug it out to the System-8!
The Arturia Origin allows you to blend modules from different virtual synths, so there is precedent for this sort of thing.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

- D-50/JD-800
- JX-3P
- VP-03
- something based on the V-synth
- a complete new form of synthesis.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

JX-3P - PLEASE. This synth has a unique sound signature, much loved.
Alpha Juno - Again, has unique qualities

Get over the "we can't do poly versions of Mono synths" thing ... polyphonic versions of the SH-2 and SH-101 would rawk.

Expand out to "Pseudonym" recreations of other classics ... There is no good reason why a certain kinds of synths can't appear as "Oracle8", "OverHelmX", "MiniMod", "ArcOhmi", "ArcOddity", etc.

We also need a method whereby we can load/change plugouts (or plugout sets) quickly from SD card ... this is a profit opportunity for Roland, as right now there is a psychological barrier to buying more than one plugout.
Manic

Post by Manic »

Progman wrote:
Manic wrote: Or imagine a possibility to blend/morph different Plug-outs with each other: like some software where you can freely assign which oscillators you want, which filter etc. So you can 'build' a synth with the oscillators of the JP8, the filter of the Juno-106 etc. and then plug it out to the System-8!
The Arturia Origin allows you to blend modules from different virtual synths, so there is precedent for this sort of thing.
Can you also 'plug out' with Arturia?

I know there are some softsynths where you can use various modules, but the unique thing would be the possibility to plug it out to a hardware piece, so you can use it in live performances (or just to save some cpu power in your studio).

And is Arturia any good? I think the ACB technology of Roland really nails it!
Manic

Post by Manic »

zombietactics wrote:JX-3P - PLEASE. This synth has a unique sound signature, much loved.
Alpha Juno - Again, has unique qualities

Get over the "we can't do poly versions of Mono synths" thing ... polyphonic versions of the SH-2 and SH-101 would rawk.

Expand out to "Pseudonym" recreations of other classics ... There is no good reason why a certain kinds of synths can't appear as "Oracle8", "OverHelmX", "MiniMod", "ArcOhmi", "ArcOddity", etc.
I think it is almost certain the JX-3P plug-out will be available soon, as they already made a boutique version of it.

I totally agree on the mono/poly thing. I think the power of the acb and the plug-out technology would be that you can enhance the classic synths, not just recreate them.

And indeed, I would love to see classic synths of other companies as a plug-out, but I bet that won't ever happen. At least Roland will not do that I guess..
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I think you'll actually find the JX-8P rather than the 3P just because of the 8 note polyphony function coming next as a plug-out. Although the chips on the system 8 board are actually called ACB Chips and it stands for analogue, I would like to see some of their digital synths come over, the JD800 or D50 would be good. The Jupiter 4 I think will come also.
QmusicRAZZ

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

Jupiter 6 and JX3P would be well received I think. A JX8P would be cool and and a first.
rcmusic35

Post by rcmusic35 »

VP-03 with its ability to have samples would have that something special to S8
len73

Post by len73 »

D-50 / JD800 would be amazing...

Don't know if the ACB tech enables that...
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

len73 wrote:D-50 / JD800 would be amazing...

Don't know if the ACB tech enables that...
ACB stands specifically for Analog Circuit Behavior, and those are digital synths. Obviously we don't know much about the "secret sauce", and perhaps there's no reason that ACB couldn't model something like the D-50 Linear Arithmetic synthesis. But LA was an intentional departure from standard analog and subtractive synthesis, and used PCM waveforms, so that seems to me to be a real leap. Plus, Roland seems to be looking to Roland Cloud and "deep sampling" as the answer for making the D-50 available again.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I have been playing around with the Roland cloud's Anthology 1987 which is their emulation of the D50.

It sounds really good. It definitely has that early years digital synth sound. What I like is layering the sounds, my MacBook Pro i7 Quad core 2.4 ghz has no problem having at least 4 layers or more, you can assign voice allocation to each layer.....I am using 30 voices per each layer with 4 layers and am having no CPU problems.

Great addition to the Roland soft synths.
The Anthology 1987 right now cannot be loaded to the system 8, it is not a plug-out, it is a soft synth.

The Tera piano which you can download is pretty mediocre it is 6 gigabytes? I personally use the Additive Keys piano software which is far superior, but I understand that in the future with Rain link - users can have access to the 8 Terabyte version! which will be played online somehow through Rain link.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

Actually just seen inside a System 8 machine and under the hood there are three chips and it seems they've changed the name of them. On the system 1 the chip was called an ACB chip. However in the system 8, they've changed them to BCB and found that stands for behavioural circuit behaviour. So my guess is that they no longer have the constraints of Analogue synth engines, so we expect to see some Digital Synth plug-outs or the intention is there for sure.
Manic

Post by Manic »

skinmechanic wrote:However in the system 8, they've changed them to BCB and found that stands for behavioural circuit behaviour.
Behavioural circuit behaviour?? Where did you get that from? Doesn't sound very logically to me..
ABGgd

Post by ABGgd »

skinmechanic wrote:Actually just seen inside a System 8 machine and under the hood there are three chips and it seems they've changed the name of them. On the system 1 the chip was called an ACB chip. However in the system 8, they've changed them to BCB and found that stands for behavioural circuit behaviour. So my guess is that they no longer have the constraints of Analogue synth engines, so we expect to see some Digital Synth plug-outs or the intention is there for sure.
In Markus Fuller's video the chips are labelled BMC.

https://youtu.be/y4tVgLlwekk?t=2m18s