New Aira / JDXI / System 8 Questions

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
MarcusBee

New Aira / JDXI / System 8 Questions

Post by MarcusBee »

Hi There

thanks in advance for any help on the below questions…

I’m going to post this is multiple forums as it covers a few different products.

I’m thinking of buying a jam set up based around the following gear:

1. MX1
2. System 8
3. JDXI
4. TR8

I would use the MX1 as the master and then the USB Inputs on the mixer to receive audio / midi from the System 8, JDXI and TR8.

Working on the basis that I would use the System 8 in split mode with real time sequencer record to give me two sequencer parts, then 4 sequenced parts on the JDXI and drums from the TR8, I have a few questions that would really help me understand if this would work:

1. A few people with a similar set up, seem to be reporting latency issues from the JDXI - does anyone have any experience of this and if yes, any workarounds - i.e. use USB for sync only and use the analogue outs for example ?

2. Is it possible, if running the TR8 into the MX1 with USB to also use one of the analogue outs to separate out the Kick drum ?

3. Does anyone have any experience with the real time sequence record in the System 8 - it seems amazing to me that there is no click, so I’m wondering about how to record in real time when using a set up like this…I guess just put it in record arm, use the TR8 as the ‘click’ and cycle round and record stuff ?

4. If I then connect up the MX1 to Ableton via USB, what do I see in Ableton in terms of separate audio tracks - each ‘fader’ / channel on the MX1 ?

5. How would I add a JU06 Boutique to this set up and sequence it via the JDXI - I’m guessing it’s as simple as use the fourth USB slot into the MX1 (slot 3 to give it bus power ?) but does this provide midi as well and if so how will the JDXI send midi to the JU06 - is all that is needed the correct midi channel or am I better using analogue outs and midi in from the JDXI to avoid midi channel clashes ?

Thanks again for any and all help
rsaintjohn

Re: New Aira / JDXI / System 8 Questions

Post by rsaintjohn »

MarcusBee wrote:3. Does anyone have any experience with the real time sequence record in the System 8 - it seems amazing to me that there is no click, so I’m wondering about how to record in real time when using a set up like this…I guess just put it in record arm, use the TR8 as the ‘click’ and cycle round and record stuff ?
Create a Patch that is just your click sound. Then create a click Pattern for it in one bar with the sequencer in step mode. Save that Patch with that Pattern.

Create a new Performance, and assign "Click Patch" two one of the layers. Adjust the keyboard range so that it won't play when you tap keys. You just want it to play when you start the sequencer in real-time mode. Now assign the tone you actually care about to the other layer. Hit RT record and goes nuts. You've created a pattern in real-time for that tone, using your Click Patch as the metronome. Save that new layer and pattern as a new patch. You can now assign something else to the Performance and keep going, or go back to Patch mode and do more with your new patch.

I created and saved a Performance like this that I simply re-use all the time. It's nothing but my click patch in the Lower (called "Metronome"), and a blank INIT in the Upper.

Alternately, I sometimes use one of a few apps on my iPhone, and sync it to the System 8
MarcusBee

Post by MarcusBee »

Thanks for the Tip
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

I have the MX1, JDXi and JDXA. Great for jamming. Easy to sync and use the MX1 functions, scatter etc whilst playing. I also have an Eventide Space using the send and return sockets. The effects on the JDXi and System 8 are great but you can really go even deeper with a quality effects box.

The dream ticket would be the System 8 and TR8 on top but I couldn't afford that and a divorce ;)

Regarding your points, I have a simple metronome patch on the JDXi, as the XA's metronome doesn't sound when synced through the MX1(strange).
I'm not sure about the other questions but if I learn some new stuff I will let you know but I've not come across latency problems.

I believe the sequencer on the System 8 is superior to the XA's(again, strange)

The drums and sequencer on the Xi are really good and you have more kits than the TR8 but I must admit, having a stand alone drum machine is an advantage and synced through the MX1 it all should kick along brilliantly.

Remember also, the MX1 has all the scatter, flanger, delay, filter and more functions, so you are sort of doubling up again, with the TR8.

The thing I like about the TR8 are the individual faders for each drum piece as the pads are not velocity sensitive. I will probably get one eventually, oh and a System 8, just don't tell my wife!!