Pad sounds and other basic questions.

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
runningman67

Pad sounds and other basic questions.

Post by runningman67 »

What is the System 8 like for deep pads.

Can you layer sounds like the JD XA.

Can you chain the sequenced programmes?

Pattern lengths maximum and can you real time record?

Thanks in advance.

Toying with Deepmind 12 or the System 8.
cello

Re: Pad sounds and other basic questions.

Post by cello »

Hi runningman67 - how are you? Hope all good :)

I'll answer your questions the best I can...

1. Yes, you can layer sounds. You can have a Jupiter 8 pad in upper and say a Juno 106 with a base - or another pad. But it doesn't layer like a JD-XA. The XA offers more layering options.

2. Chaining sequences - no, I don't believe so

3. The sequencer is 64 step and in my view far better than the XA one.

4. Yes, you can real time record (but there's no metronome!)
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Thanks Cello.

Not played one yet as you might have guessed but I'm expecting my local shop to give me a call for a demo.
I think I will get the System 8 because of the MX1. The JD XA is staying !
Must admit I'm enjoying linking the Roland stuff.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

How do you put the Plug outs into your System 8?

When all three are used, do you delete one and add the new one. If so how?

Are there any empty presets on all plug out banks.

I have a JD XA so from a bank and writing/editing program perspective, are they similar?
cello

Post by cello »

runningman67 wrote:How do you put the Plug outs into your System 8?

When all three are used, do you delete one and add the new one. If so how?

Are there any empty presets on all plug out banks.

I have a JD XA so from a bank and writing/editing program perspective, are they similar?
The Jupiter 8 and the Juno are part of the latest OS. The third remaining slot can only be occupied by transferring from a DAW environment, such as SONAR.

Yes, the writing/editing is similar (except no men diving as in the XA). Also there are some quirks when saving performances in the S-8. But other than that, very similar.
Manic

Post by Manic »

What quirks?
cello

Post by cello »

Manic wrote:What quirks?
The main one is let's say you have one Jup8 patch in the lower and say a Juno patch in the upper. You decide you want to tweak the patches a little in the context of that performance. You're now happy and go through the save process. Go do something else and come back to that saved performance. Your tweaks have not been saved, despite the expected behaviour being that they would be. I'm told that Roland is aware of this.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Thanks Cello for your time and advice. I demo'd it and loved it but the sales guy, even though a thoroughly decent chap was more a guitarist.

Sorry to labour the point but I am very close to pulling the trigger and buying the 8.

So am I right on this.........

You have the native System 8 Synth. Banks and programmes....are there empty presets.

There are the J8 and 106 synths. Do they have a bank of Presets. If so how many etc and can you save changes.

So the third plug out is for additional synth plug outs but not via an OS update or via the Roland Aira download site.

The native S8 synth j8 and 106 is probably enough for me, having the XA too.

I don't have a DAW. What would be the cheapest way to do that. I would only use a DAW for this purpose, I am Hardware only.

cheers
Manic

Post by Manic »

Correct me if im wrong, but if you hold shift and then push write, it saves the performance and both patches at once!
If you save a performance only, then youre not saving the patches..
Manic

Post by Manic »

runningman67 wrote:Thanks Cello for your time and advice. I demo'd it and loved it but the sales guy, even though a thoroughly decent chap was more a guitarist.

Sorry to labour the point but I am very close to pulling the trigger and buying the 8.

You have the native System 8 Synth. Banks and programmes....are there empty presets.

There are the J8 and 106 synths. Do they have a bank of Presets. If so how many etc and can you save changes.

So the third plug out is for additional synth plug outs but not via an OS update or via the Roland Aira download site.

I don't have a DAW. What would be the cheapest way to do that. I would only use a DAW for this purpose, I am Hardware only.

cheers
Each synth engine has 64 own factory presets. So thats 64 for the S8, and 64 for each plugout. You can of course save your own, but youll have to overwrite the factory presets.
cello

Post by cello »

Manic wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but if you hold shift and then push write, it saves the performance and both patches at once!
You are correct - but one may not want to save the edits to the patch, maybe only want it to sound different in that performance. I don't use performance much so not encountered the issue, but others are calling it a bug... not for me to say!
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Thanks Manic. I'm getting it now. The functions of the Synth and the Synth itself.

BTW, if you are a professional Bug Fixer, you need quirks. :)

Have a great weekend chaps.
cello

Post by cello »

runningman67 wrote:Thanks Cello for your time and advice. I demo'd it and loved it but the sales guy, even though a thoroughly decent chap was more a guitarist.

cheers
Like Manic said :)
proteus-ix

Post by proteus-ix »

cello wrote:
Manic wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but if you hold shift and then push write, it saves the performance and both patches at once!
You are correct - but one may not want to save the edits to the patch, maybe only want it to sound different in that performance. I don't use performance much so not encountered the issue, but others are calling it a bug... not for me to say!
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive so sorry if I'm not fully understanding, but... does this mean you should save a copy of a patch before adding it to a performance, so you could tweak and save it within the performance and not have to worry about losing the original? I'm assuming you can import individual patches from an archive/sysex dump as well, so that even if you accidentally save a tweaked 2nd version in a performance, you can always restore the original?