Can it OB-X, OB-Xa, Matrix?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Saxifraga

Can it OB-X, OB-Xa, Matrix?

Post by Saxifraga »

My favorite sounds are made with OB-Xa and OB-X.
Does any owner know, if the System-8 is able to reproduce sounds that come near that SEM/OB filter sound?
Esp. the Foreigner "Waiting for a girl like you" intro is difficult to reproduce on any other synth, without faking it with a sample.
skinmechanic

Re: Can it OB-X, OB-Xa, Matrix?

Post by skinmechanic »

Do you know I love that Synth sound, I've tried to re-create it many times. As for the System 8 I've tried on the System 8 synth engine, i've made some OBXA String sounds, but they do sound thinner than the real thing.
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

The filter is very different. I have had some fun designing patches in tandem on the OB-6 and the System 8 and they started off similar and then gradually went in totally different directions.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

Saxifraga wrote:My favorite sounds are made with OB-Xa and OB-X.
Does any owner know, if the System-8 is able to reproduce sounds that come near that SEM/OB filter sound?
Esp. the Foreigner "Waiting for a girl like you" intro is difficult to reproduce on any other synth, without faking it with a sample.
I have it on very good authority that it was not an Oberheim of any kind, but rather a Jupiter-8 using the 12db/2-pole filter. (That was a favorite of Thomas Dolby, who created those sounds and played on that track for Foreigner) Sooo, seems like it should be possible with the Jupiter-8 plugout, especially since there is decent onboard reverb and delay.

I can do it pretty easily on my JD-XA or KingKorg .... so guessing it should not be much of stretch. The difficult part is getting the reverb/delay set up to make the LFO "sing" in that way ... old trick but takes a lot of trial error to get it just right.