Preset patches questions after 1.11 ugprade

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
len73

Preset patches questions after 1.11 ugprade

Post by len73 »

Hi everyone,

Just got an updated System-8 and noticed 2 things :

1) After the upgrade, it seems that some patches have been removed or moved. Can you confirm that ? Where could I find the missing patches again ? Looking a the patches management, is there any available editor/librarian (as for the JDXa) ?

2) Some patches of the Juno 106 plug-out seems to have a kind of background noise. You can listen to the noise straight after selecting the patches. Without playing anything the noise is clearly audible. You can reduce/eliminate it by tweaking the effect tone/depth. Is this normal or do I have a defective unit ?

Thank you for your feedback !

Len
rsaintjohn

Re: Preset patches questions after 1.11 ugprade

Post by rsaintjohn »

len73 wrote:Hi everyone,

Just got an updated System-8 and noticed 2 things :

1) After the upgrade, it seems that some patches have been removed or moved. Can you confirm that ?
Correct. After an update to 1.11 and the "factory reset", the original patches and performances are replaced with completely new sets, and more of each (from @32 each to 64 each).
Where could I find the missing patches again ?
Unless you did a full backup before doing the update and factory reset, I don't think there is a way to recover the original patches and performances. If you did do such a back-up, though, doing a restore will bring back the original patches. I did this out of curiosity, just to confirm that the original patches were really bad compared to the updated versions.
Looking a the patches management, is there any available editor/librarian (as for the JDXa) ?
No System-8 editor or librarian is available or has yet been announced. There is one for the System-1, though, so we can hope something will be provided soon.
2) Some patches of the Juno 106 plug-out seems to have a kind of background noise. You can listen to the noise straight after selecting the patches. Without playing anything the noise is clearly audible. You can reduce/eliminate it by tweaking the effect tone/depth. Is this normal or do I have a defective unit ?
That's normal, not a defect. That's the infamous Juno chorus, present on those original Junos and the patches that used the Chorus feature. Fortunately, on the System 8, you can adjust the "noise level", using the Tone knob in the Effect section, as you found. Be sure to get the "JUNO-106/SYSTEM-8 Parameter Correspondence Table" PDF from the Roland site.
len73

Post by len73 »

Hello rsaintjohn !

Thank you for your feed-back. Greatly appreciated.

So without backup (what I didn't perform) no chance to get the patches again.

Not a drama but maybe will Roland develop a section on the axial website ?

Would be nice.

Have a great day

Len
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

len73 wrote:Hello rsaintjohn !

Thank you for your feed-back. Greatly appreciated.

So without backup (what I didn't perform) no chance to get the patches again.

Not a drama but maybe will Roland develop a section on the axial website ?
That's very possible, as they recently did that with the XA, and reposted its original presets. I'm sorry, I'd offer you the backup file that I had, but I deleted it from the SD card when I did some cleaning up (I really hated those original presets!)