Saving sounds.

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
QmusicRAZZ

Saving sounds.

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

Guys what is the best SD card that we know will work for sure in the S8? What is the MAX storage the S8 can handle? I would like to save the keyboard and all settings to SD card for future backup. I am reading the manual and getting ready to program sounds for my band. Are you guys over writing performances or patches for custom sounds. Or just going to SD card? I don't guess there are any blank slots.
rsaintjohn

Re: Saving sounds.

Post by rsaintjohn »

(duplicate of my replies over on FB, for the benefit of everyone)

Even a small SD card will last for ages, because the files are relatively small. I started with a Sony 32GB SDHC card because it was handy. For reference:
- Full system backup is about 4.4MB
- A single patch export is about 17kb
- A Performance just references two patches and a few settings, and is even smaller

As for my own storage strategy, I went through the Presets and Performances, made note of which ones I didn't care about, exported those up to SD, and deleted them from the S8. Gave me about 15-20 slots open for each plug-out. I moved all the empty slots to the end so that they're generally in the G and H banks. I also exported all the Presets (as a single file) for each synth, in case I ever need to recover something.

When I've created my own Patches and Performances, I'll export those up to SD card when I'm finished with them.

I keep a small notebook nearby to note my file naming schemes, and which tunes I'm working on using which Performances.

I usually name Patches with a prefix that identifies the type of sound (LD for Lead, BR for Brass, FX for Sound Effects, etc.) so that when I do put them on the SD card, it's easier to navigate through them, since they're listed alphabetically when browsing in the display.

You can even do a full system backup that preserves all of your settings, all of your patches, all of your performances. You could have one that is called something like "S8J8JUSH" that is just the default versions of the System 8, Jupiter 8, Juno 106 and SH-101 (for instance) with their factory default patches. Then, delete all the Presets and Performances, and back that up. Then you'll always be able to start with either the default state, or a clean slate. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

A mix of these may be the best strategy for you in the band. Just do a full backup for safety, and exports of the default patches and performances. Then just start creating your personal "live performance set" that includes your personal and renamed patches, and create Performances using those with the names of the songs you guys play. Then when you're on stage, you can just quickly call up the next song in Performance mode. When you're back at home in the studio, you can just call up whatever backup you need (maybe working on a new song, tweaking Presets to taste). Export your patches as you complete them, then restore your "live performance set" and add the new elements to it.

Remember that you can always do a Factory Reset, even on just a synth by synth basis, to get back the Presets. So even if you're overwriting them, you can get back the originals. But it's best to just work out your own personal storage strategy in advance, and stick to it. There's some upfront work to all this, but the organization and workflow will be really helpful and time-saving in the long run.
QmusicRAZZ

Re: Saving sounds.

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

Thanks brother....