Finally. played the System 8 today.

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
runningman67

Finally. played the System 8 today.

Post by runningman67 »

Finally played the System 8.

First impressions (as a JD XA owner)

It looks amazing. Very easy to read and work out.

It sounds amazing, the way it is layed out makes you want to play and mess around. It's light but well made and the buttons and dials are solid.

The arp and sequencer are easy to understand, the effects are also very easy to use.

As a JD XA owner, this is how I feel..................The JD XA is absolutely amazing, the depth, the variety, the possibilities. An absolute keeper, because it just keeps giving, even though it's a tough nut to crack, it is worth every second of discovery.

As a potential System 8 owner, this is how I feel..........The System 8 is a little over priced, it delivers fantastic vintage synth sounds, it is easy to use, accessible immediately and I had 'goose bump moments' in the shop playing it.

Summary........... I want one. Like Yin and Yang, they belong together, antidotes for each others short comings and an absolute blast to play.
cello

Re: Finally. played the System 8 today.

Post by cello »

Good review - having both the XA and the System-8 I agree with your summary!

I think the S-8 sequencer should've been on the XA but that said the XA has the poly arp - so like you say, they are antidotes for each other.

Trust all is good with you sir
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Auditioned the S8 again today.

I'll share my thoughts for other perspective buyers.

The feeling I came away with was what a polished piece of kit. It 'does what it says on the tin'.

The S8 gives you a fully operational modern and vintage synth. I wish I had such a synth 30 years ago when I was a pro musician, although I did own the 106, because it is an accessible, trusty bit of kit.

Lastly, the patch that I found today was the Jupiter 8 Trumpet . I added some reverb, to my taste, very easily, and wow, all of a sudden, it isn't over priced at all.

Found this tonight too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz6_lEl ... D0&index=9
papa-san

Post by papa-san »

Yah, I agree. This is the machine I wished I had 30 years ago too. The S-8 is a really great sounding machine.

I owned the JP-6, Juno-60 and the SH-101 back in the 80s. A buddy of mine had the JP-4 and JP-8. I played the Promars and SH-2 a lot too. What impressed me the most is how Roland got the behavior and sound of the Juno-106 and JP-8 just right. Right down to how the filter behaved when you turn up the Q.

I'm very happy with the machine.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

papa-san wrote: ..... What impressed me the most is how Roland got the behavior and sound of the Juno-106 and JP-8 just right. Right down to how the filter behaved when you turn up the Q.

Does this synth produce/recreate the chorus of the 106?
Manic

Post by Manic »

WhatThe wrote:
papa-san wrote: ..... What impressed me the most is how Roland got the behavior and sound of the Juno-106 and JP-8 just right. Right down to how the filter behaved when you turn up the Q.

Does this synth produce/recreate the chorus of the 106?
Yes!
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Awesome, thanks !
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

I must say, I don't feel that the System 8 is over priced, as I had mentioned earlier.

It is a precise instrument. Everything is 'obvious' in a good way. Yes it's light in weight but so is an F1 car. The knobs and sliders are rock solid and the green is actually easy on the eye.

Regarding the sounds, the 106 is awesome, there are analogue type sweet spots. The sound is 'strong' very strong.

I leave it switched on, even five mins here and there is rewarding.

Brilliant synth.