Menu diving is so last year :)

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
runningman67

Menu diving is so last year :)

Post by runningman67 »

' 76 knobs ? that's 76 knobs to go wrong '. I read that the other day. Well I know from experience, if your touch screen breaks, that's hundreds of things gone wrong and an expensive repair.

When I bought my JD XA, after a week of head scratching I started to appreciate the 'Knobage' again. When I played the System 8 this week, I appreciated it even more. I was surrounded by all the current synths. Lots of black/grey and touch screens. Even built in speakers. Lots of keyboards trying not to be a keyboard. The perfect, orchestra, guitar, piano, trumpet, choir. How boring.

In the corner were two synths, one red, one green, small, light weight and very, very cool looking. This was synthesiser corner 2017 style.

Obviously it depends on your needs but you have to give Roland some serious credit. Who saw the JD XA and system 8 coming?
They needed to have red and green flashing lights. We needed waking up, we needed to notice, we were sleep walking through the black, silver and grey touchscreen Stepford Wives version of Keyboard 'evolution'.

We had forgotten what the Synthesiser was. It's an electronic masterpiece, it morphs tones into whatever, shape, flavour and feeling that works for you. It's a Robot with a heart, not a duplicate of a duplicate.

I bet everybody's S8 and XA is set up differently, because that's what they are made for.

Synthesiser.....an electronic musical instrument, typically operated by a keyboard, producing a wide variety of sounds by generating and combining signals of different frequencies.