Portamento voice steal bug in S8 poly mode

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Manic

Portamento voice steal bug in S8 poly mode

Post by Manic »

I really love the sound and the design of the System-8. There are some known bugs though, which I hope they will fix in a future update.

I think I just found a new bug, I'd like to hear if you can replicate this:

1) Initialize System-8 patch.
2) Set the portamento time to anywhere higher than 0/OFF
3) Ensure System-8 is in polyphonic mode
4) Press and hold a single key, then strike another key for at least 8 times, while still holding the first key. You will notice the first key stops playing after striking another key for more than 7 times.

I tried this with the plug-outs, but there it seems to work fine.

I did not report this to Roland yet, but if you guys are able to replicate this, we should report it to Roland.

PS:
There is this known bug of the S8 in mono mode; when playing notes legato (legato option on or off, does not make a difference) while tweaking any of the controls, the notes are released, as if you're playing staccato. If you did not report this bug to Roland yet, please do this. The more people complaining about it, the higher the chance it will be fixed soon.
I did report this to Roland, but they did not garantee me when or even IF they will fix it.. Would be a shame if they don't, it makes the S8 really useless for live performance in mono mode.
Locksley

Re: Portamento voice steal bug in S8 poly mode

Post by Locksley »

I will test this and report back.

Would like to see a 'bug list' thread.

1. Here is an other odd thing. Playing keyboard over midi using S8 as soundsource - the sustain pedal is not recognized. And, if I remember correctly, using a pedal connected to S8 will apply sustain on the notes even when sent to it via midi.
With only 8voices it might not be a big issue as I myself quickly stopped using sustain pedal movement, but it do take away a bit of expression if one incorperate just short periods of pedal-sustain.

2. Then there was something about a filter setting not getting aplied? Well, something more has come up that I know.

Hopefully we will see alot of work getting sunk into the System-8 flagship for quite a few years to come, it would be a pity if the annual releases of new stuff will supress any development. This world of constant releases is not all that great in my eyes.... my phone is 4years old, there is no need for me to buy a new one with every yearly release!
Manic

Post by Manic »

I totally agree with you. My iPhone is almost 6 years old ;)

I will check out your sustain-pedal-issue tonight too.
Locksley

Post by Locksley »

Right. First note stops after 7 presses. With Legato On it does not. Plug-outs do not stop the first note after 7 presses.

Can anyone find any good use for this behavior?