System-8 as midi controller

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Manic

System-8 as midi controller

Post by Manic »

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use my S8 as a general midi controller in my daw and using the sound engine simultaneously, but seperately. So I'd like to control my VSTi's with the S8 and control my S8 via a Midi Out plugin - which I know is possible. I would then like to also control this Midi Out plugin with the S8, but only when focussed/selected. The S8 parameters and notes should thus only be controlled via the Midi Out plugin, not directly by the S8 itself (otherwise I cant control another VSTi without changing parameters/playing the notes of the S8). So I can easily select the Midi plugin (=S8) or any VSTi and the S8 will control the corresponding synth.

Would be awesome if this is possible!
Manic

Re: System-8 as midi controller

Post by Manic »

I'm facing this issue when using the S8 (or my S1m, same issue) as a midi controller: both Sustain and Release of the Amp envelope are sending increment/decrement values instead of absolute values like the other controls. I cannot link it to a controller in my DAW correctly..

Is there a way to change these messages?

Are you able to reproduce this issue in other DAWs?
Manic

Post by Manic »

Ok I reported this issue to Roland. Ill keep you informed.
Manic

Post by Manic »

Ok I managed to configure my setup to do what I explained in the first post! :)

Im still facing the midi issue with the amp envelope though, can anyone reproduce this in other DAWs?
Manic

Re: System-8 as midi controller issue

Post by Manic »

Ok I found the following weird behaviour:

When I link a software parameter to the Amp Sustain/Release fader, while using auto detect/learn mode (in FL Studio), it picks a different Midi CC depending on the current position of the fader. So at 100%, it sends Midi CC 127 while at 0% it sends Midi CC 0. When I then move the fader, it makes alle linked parameters on the same midi channel increase/decrease (for sustain/release) when it reaches that certain point of the corresponding Midi CC. When it is at a different position than the position where it is linked, FL Studio does receive the messages, but thinks they are not linked to any parameter (because it's a different CC).

So instead of sending the same Midi CC all the time with various values, it sends various Midi CC messages with the same value, namely Increment +1 (sustain) or Decrement -1 (release).

I hope this makes sense to you.
system 8 Beta User

Post by system 8 Beta User »

I'm facing this issue when using the S8 as a midi controller: both Sustain and Release of the Amp envelope are sending increment/decrement values instead of absolute values like the other controls. I cannot link it to a controller in my DAW correctly..

System 8 as midi controller very bad option! You can buy better Novation Launch Control XL :)

System 8 Layout is Great but no control, fader, Button for my own settings Midi CC.

OS update come on Roland....System Menu save control, fader, Button for my own settings Midi CC. !
Manic

Post by Manic »

I'm trying to configure my System-8 in a way that only midi CC messages are being sent to my DAW, so without notes. Does anyone know whether this is possible?
proteus-ix

Post by proteus-ix »

Manic wrote:Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use my S8 as a general midi controller in my daw and using the sound engine simultaneously, but seperately. So I'd like to control my VSTi's with the S8 and control my S8 via a Midi Out plugin - which I know is possible. I would then like to also control this Midi Out plugin with the S8, but only when focussed/selected. The S8 parameters and notes should thus only be controlled via the Midi Out plugin, not directly by the S8 itself (otherwise I cant control another VSTi without changing parameters/playing the notes of the S8). So I can easily select the Midi plugin (=S8) or any VSTi and the S8 will control the corresponding synth.

Would be awesome if this is possible!
Did you get this to work? I don't see the other person you seem to have been interacting with, looks like maybe they deleted their posts or account?
Synthpathetic

Post by Synthpathetic »

Hi All

Im also looking to use s8 as a general midi controller in my daw (ableton) and using the sound engine simultaneously, but separately. Was there a solution to this, if so I would be eternally grateful if you can share how it is done.

Thanks!
pramster

Post by pramster »

Hi,
I'm looking to get a System 8, mainly as a synth in its own right, but also to replace my current midi controller (Komplete Kontrol S49), and was wondering if Roland resolved the issue in the end?

Thanks
BocLogic

Post by BocLogic »

Hi,
Have you tried setting local control to ‘Surface’?

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... al-Control

There’s also a system setting that controls how the faders and knobs behave, IIRC, continuous or latching modes.